Viewing page 2 of 6 pages. Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Our testing procedures are used to determine the performance and energy efficiency of the CPU and its integrated graphics (if applicable). A series of CPU and GPU-centric benchmarks are used and system power consumption is measured in various states as well as during each CPU benchmark (an average of the first 5~15 seconds).
CPU testing is conducted with a discrete graphics card (a GeForce 9400 GT) to eliminate integrated graphics as a variable, most notably with regards to power consumption. This is necessary to fairly compare CPUs that do not have an onboard graphics chip such as AMD FX/Athlon and Intel "E" models. Default CPU core clock speeds/multipliers are used rather than those prescribed by the motherboard manufacturers.
- Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 - LGA1151, Z170 chipset, ATX
- Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 - LGA1150, Z97 chipset, microATX
- Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 - AM3+ socket, 990FX chipset, ATX
- Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4 - FM2+ socket, A88X chipset, ATX
- Asus F2A85-M Pro - FM2 socket, A85X chipset, microATX
Common Test Components:
HyperX Genesis memory - 2x4GB, DDR3-1866 @ 1600 MHz, C10
- Kingston Fury memory - 2x4GB, DDR4-2667, C15
- ADATA XPG SX910 128GB or Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB solid-state drive - 2.5-inch, SATA 6 Gbps
SS-460FL power supply - 460W, ATX, fanless, 80Plus Gold
- Scythe Kabuto
CPU cooler - stock fan at 800 RPM
Windows 7 operating system - Ultimate, 64-bit
CPU Only Test Components:
- Asus EN9400GT Silent Edition
graphics card - 512MB
Test platform device listing (A10-7890K).
Measurement and Analysis Tools:
Video Test Suite:
H.264/MKV 1080p: A custom 1080p H.264 encoded clip inside an Matroska container with a 22 mbps bitrate.
YouTube HTML5 4K: RBG Rainbow, a dead/stuck pixel screen fixer in 4K.
GPU Benchmark Suite:
Gaming tests are conducted at two resolutions, 1366x768 and 1600x900 (or the closest allowable screen resolution) with differing levels of image quality. The results we report are for the highest resolution and detail level with which the product can deliver a reasonably good framerate (about 45 frames per second).
CPU Benchmark Suite:
- Adobe Photoshop: Timed image processing job; A derivation
of Driver Heaven's Photoshop
- foobar2000: Timed audio (FLAC) encode.
- Windows Defender: Timed anti-virus scan.
- 7-Zip: Timed file compression.
- TrueCrypt: Encryption/decryption benchmark; 500MB setting, AES-Twofish-Serpent algorithm, mean result, converted into time for comparison purposes.
- HandBrake: Timed video (H.264) encode.
- Maxon Cinebench: Rendering benchmark; CPU setting, converted into time for comparison purposes.
As we will be making conclusions on the energy efficiency of the CPUs compared, some of the power consumption figures have been artificially adjusted to be more "average" to better represent typical energy efficiency. This particularly applies to the Intel Core i7/i5 processor results as they were tested on the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 and Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5, two unusually energy efficient motherboards according to our extensive power consumption tests of LGA1151 and LGA1150 boards.
Our timed benchmark results have also been adjusted but proportionally (such that relative differences remain the same) to facilitate better chart scaling.
|Help support this site, buy from one of our affiliate retailers!|