Quiet PC for Torrid Thailand

Do-It-Yourself Systems
Viewing page 2 of 6 pages. Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

THE PSU INTAKE DUCT

Those who are familiar with the appearance of the P150 probably wondered about the last photo on the previous page. The grill at the top front is external evidence of the only serious modification I made to the P150 for this system: A fresh air intake duct for the power supply to prevent it from being affected by heat from the rest of the computer. This modification ensures that the power supply fan only has to deal with its own heat, and that it runs as quietly as possible without risking overheating even under extended periods of very high load. A PSU intake duct is not a new idea; I suggested it to Leo Quan years ago, and it's been adopted by many SPCR readers, including Ralf Hutter, with his P150.

Here's a photo of an unmodified P150 case, from Ralf Hutter's review in October:


The unmodified P150 is an elegant looker.

Below is a closeup of the modified portion of the P150 I built for Frank. It's a piece of Modder's Mesh, 22 gauge perforated steel, courtesy of mnptech.com and coolcases.com. Wedged behind it is a piece of thin, light open-cell foam to act as a dust filter. This accounts for the dark color of the holes in the mesh.


Perforated steel grill lends a somewhat more high tech look.
It compliments the brushed aluminum inset of the P150 front panel .

The steel mesh was cut slightly larger than the opening using tin snips, then the four edges bent 90 degrees manually using a hammer, clamps and wood blocks. The final piece fitted tightly into the 2-optical bay space allotted for the duct. I used a hot glue gun to affix the steel grill securely to three sides of the P150 front bezel. The dust filter was cut from a piece of foam found beneath a motherboard in its retail box; it is very commonly used for this shock-protection purpose.


Light open-cell foam acts as a dust filter; duct is visible above LG optical disc.

The following photos illustrate the making and installation of the duct. It's pretty self-explanatory.


What it looked like before.


The duct was cut with a utility knife from an old poster mounted on 1/4" foamboard.
Foamboard has a polystyrene foam core, and is laminated on both sides with a paper stock.
The dimensions had to be correct, and the cuts had to go through one of the paper skins but not the other.


This is how the duct was inserted.



Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Do-It-Yourself Systems - Article Index
Help support this site, buy from one of our affiliate retailers!
Search: