ASUS Probe - No chassis fan/power fan reading

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

postul8or

ASUS Probe - No chassis fan/power fan reading

Post by postul8or » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:16 pm

I've got an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Motherboard with a case fan attached to the PWR_FAN connector on the motherboard.

Can anybody explain why I do not get a reading on ASUS Probe (reads temps, voltages and fan speeds) under the Chassis fan or Power fan reading? When using Speedfan, I get a similar absense of this reading.

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:05 am

is it a very slow spinning fan? if so, you could try this in speedfan..
configure -> advanced -> select chip/find the fan controllers and set FAN# divisor property up to 8

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:51 am

It is also possible that the fan in question does not have RPM monitoring, even if it does have 3 wires. What are the manufacturer and model of the fan?

I have a P4P800-DX, which ought to be similar to your P4C, and all three fan monitoring headers work fine inside Asus PC Probe.

postul8or

Post by postul8or » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:10 pm

No my mistake, I did use the 3 wire cable. It's a low flow Panaflo 80 mm fan.

Maybe I do need to try that trick in Speedfan.

Project

Post by Project » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:04 pm

not all panaflo's have rpm monitoring

postul8or

Post by postul8or » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:11 pm

Project wrote:not all panaflo's have rpm monitoring
How do I know if it is supposed to have rpm monitoring or not then?

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:34 pm

put a multimeter between the rpm line and gnd while fan is in operation (use alligator clips and pins on the metal 'fingernails' of the 3 pin plug)
you could use voltmeter or probably even ohm-meter and see if anything is 'happening' there. if it has rpm monitoring there will be something happening (my multimeter won't stabilise on a reading but this tells me the wire isn't just dead)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:18 pm

Almost no low speed Panaflos w/ RPM support exist. I have never seen one for sale anywhere, so there is a 99% chance that your L1A doesn't have RPM support and that's why Asus probe isn't detecting anything.

postul8or

Post by postul8or » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:28 pm

sthayashi wrote:Almost no low speed Panaflos w/ RPM support exist. I have never seen one for sale anywhere, so there is a 99% chance that your L1A doesn't have RPM support and that's why Asus probe isn't detecting anything.
Fair enough, that was the type of logic I was looking for.

I'm not really into sticking my voltmeter into the machine to see if anything happens, too worried about shorting something else out in the process.

wim

Post by wim » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:46 am

yer 99% "logic" can't settle the question like a multimeter can :wink:
postul8or wrote:I'm not really into sticking my voltmeter into the machine to see if anything happens, too worried about shorting something else out in the process.
lol that's why i use pins.. you have to be something special if you can manage to connect two contacts together using the nib of a pin.

my panaflo L's have only two wires so i know they aren't rpm monitoring. i can't think of any good reason why panasonic would also manufacture three-wire non-rpm monitoring fans?! sounds like the cost-engineers were havincg a day off there

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:59 am

wim wrote:i can't think of any good reason why panasonic would also manufacture three-wire non-rpm monitoring fans?! sounds like the cost-engineers were havincg a day off there
Simple. No one wants or needs them and they cost a small amount of money to produce (money that can be saved if they don't make them). Part of the reason no one wants or needs it is because RPM detection is flaky below 1500 RPM (or so I've heard).

wim

Post by wim » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:27 am

well that sounds like a fine reason why they wouldn't manufacture three-wire rpm monitoring fans...

i asked why they would manufacture three-wire non-rpm monitoring fans (which is what postul8or appeared to have obtained)...

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:48 am

This topic has been covered very thoroughly several times here at SPCR. Use the search and all the points that have been brought up in this thread will be answered.

postul8or

Post by postul8or » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:15 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:This topic has been covered very thoroughly several times here at SPCR. Use the search and all the points that have been brought up in this thread will be answered.
Fair enough, as you say in another post (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=14195), you simply need to look for a BX at the end of the model number.

I thought something was broken because when I bought my low flow Panaflo it came with both a 2 pin and 3 pin cable. I just assumed it came with a 3 pin because it was ready to go with rpm monitoring.

Not really a big deal, I don't think I could throttle down rpm much anyway because my CPU (P4 2.8C) runs at about 60 C @ 100% CPU usage in my current config. If I take the side panel off it goes down to about 48 C, clearly I need to pump as much air away as possible and possibly re-work some things in my case to improve things.