Looking for insect-proof metal mesh

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mathias

Looking for insect-proof metal mesh

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Something with holes no bigger than the exhaust grill of a bottom fan PSU. I'm guessing two sheets of modders mesh placed so that the holes of one overlap with the intersections of the other would work, for example.

It would be for my power supply which I have on top of my case.(it would not be right up against the fan like a wire grill would be) Of course, I'm sure it would have many other uses.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:44 pm

Plenty of choices here. :)

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Looks a bit too restrictive, it'll only be have about twice the area of a grill. Although effective area should increase a lot if it's far away, since most of the airflow is at the outer parts of the fan.

I'm an idiot, should have thought of this earlier.

I've been wondering how much better a distanced grill would work compared to a normal wire grill.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:02 pm

hehe..if you mean to use those metal mesh tray..it would work well though not as good, airflow-wise, as standard wire grill. I used to use that for my PSU air channel - though I ditched it later because of the look.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:02 pm

I think it might work better than a wire grill. It looks to be about 50% open, so if I had it cap the PSU in a boxy way, it should be able to have more open space than a wire grill, and it wouldn't be an imediate obstruction to parts of the fan. But of course the way to know for sure is to test it.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:08 am

A mesh with more area can be more "restrictive" per sq inch,yet less restricive in total. I'll probably do a filtered floor intake setup someday,with the majority of the floor an intake