Brand new system, but still too noisy.. NEED SOME HELP GUYS

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

W0DKA

Brand new system, but still too noisy.. NEED SOME HELP GUYS

Post by W0DKA » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:03 am

Hi all,

Just bought all the stuff for my new micro-ATX system.
Coolermaster atc-600-dx1 case.
Zalman400W PSU.
3xpapst 60mm to replace case fans.
asus a7n8x-vm mobo
amd 2800+
Aeroflow VA4-C7040 (SocketA/370/7)
( Wanted to buy Zalman7000Cu, but there seemed to be no holes in mobo :cry: )
Maxtor 120GB 8MB Liquid Bearing

Well to sumarize what I thought of it after putting all this together:

- PSU is making more noise then I expected from Zalman products.
Maybe you have some suggestion?
- Aeroflow was not the best buy I feel. It's making the most noise of all components. I wanted to take the Zalman7000Cu as mentioned before, but there seemed to be no holes in the micro-atx asus mobo.
Maybe you have some suggestion?
- Maxtor is constantly making irritating noise. I was doubting between seagate and maxtor, but was adviced that maxtor nowadays make also the same silent products as seagate.. Guess not then :wink: ...

Any general suggestions for some sound deadening?

Maybe I can use some akasa for the case?

Let me know if I am just pushing it too far with my try to make this system really noiseless... maybe i am already using the right products and I should not complain anymore... :?

Thanks guys for your feedback !

Cheers, W0DKA

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:08 am

I guess you don't want to start spending lots of money, so swapping out the Maxtor for a Samsung or Seagate isn't on. Look at the other options for heatsinks form Zalman and those recomended here, there's going to be something quiet that can handle your CPU.

I wonder if you need a good quality 400W PSU, 300W is more like it IMO.

The 60mm fans are likely to generate more noise for airflow compared to larger fans. I'm not familiar with your case, but I got a Lian Li PC-9300 MATX and removed the 60mm rear fans as my modded PSU (non-ATX, now using a 120mm fan) was doing the job.

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:34 am

Yeah, seems like you should start with those 60mm fans, maybe see if you can get by without the intake ones and just use one as an exhaust. That is something no-cost (assuming you don't burn anything up!) you can try, to start with. Wouldn't jump right into applying sound deadening (a band-aid approach) until you've tried to reduce the source of the problem.