passively cooled processors

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Always a demand issue, I think. Mobile proc. generally don't have the identical form factor, so would require a different mobo.
<br>
<br>The C3 is an obvious choice, VIA has gone to some lengths to ensure low power dissipation and the ability to survive running really hot.
<br>
<br>Aside from that, another thing to try is a T-bird. The slowest one you can find (maybe 900MHZ?). Here's how to run it cool, maybe cool enough with a huge heatsink to run fanless:
<br>
<br>- easily unlocked with pencil trick so you can play with both multiplier and bus speed.
<br>- if underclocked by 30% or more with still a reasonable bus (say 100), you can easily undervolt up to 0.3V, maybe more. Each .1V translates to about 1.5 degrees C less heat, in my experience.
<br>- HS -- Zalman 6000cu, Alpha 8045, Swiftech 462, maybe the Thermalright AX-7 may be suitable. Anything big with lots of copper, surface area and non-directional fins. I do prefer the 4 bolt mount system (alpha & swiftech) over the clips. So more more secure & precise.
<br>- Will still have lots of computing power, probably even for all but the latest 3d games.
[addsig]