UK place to buy cheap electronics?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Oz

UK place to buy cheap electronics?

Post by Oz » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:48 am

Does anyone know of a good cheap place to buy computer cables and accessories in the UK? ATM I'm looking for IDE power connectors, of the type mentioned in Mike's 12V -> 5V article, and the only thing I can find is a Maplins IDE extension cable, which is £1.49! Surely there must be a cheaper place? Someone told me about RS Components, but just looking at their website, they have an incredible amount of stuff, and I can't find IDE connectors ;). What's the 'proper' name for them?

Cheers,
Oz

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:48 am

They're called molex connectors (careful tho cos molex make a whole load of different connectors.) At RS they're in 'Cable & Connectors | Connectors - Multipole Rectangular | Molex 1625 Series ', prob with RS tho is you have to buy 5 of them minimum!

(they look a bit funny cos i think they are the ones you would use actually in a HD or something, ie they have mounting lugs on the sides of them)

Could also try local computer fairs - but molex cable would prolly be a quid anyway, and its normally £2 to get in!

Also you could use a terminal block - take the pins out of a molex connected to your PSU, then screw these into one side of the terminal block, and screw you fan cables in on the other side at whatever voltage you want.