Ever miss the loud noises from ur PC ?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anthrax

Ever miss the loud noises from ur PC ?

Post by Anthrax » Mon May 24, 2004 3:51 am

today i decided to run my computer like 1 did 1 month ago. ie all the fans on 12.

it was hell

i couldnt stand 5mins of it, i was going insane. everyone should try this, it brings back some bad memeries :twisted:

trodas

Post by trodas » Mon May 24, 2004 4:14 am

Ugh! :?
Luckily, my PC did not have any fan, except the two in Enermax 431W PSU at 5V :lol:

And I never try this! :shock: :roll:

Uberman1080

Post by Uberman1080 » Mon May 24, 2004 4:36 am

in a word.....NO
i never ever ever want to go back to 7k Rpm 50&60MM fans.
if there is a hell, you can bet thats where those fans go.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 24, 2004 4:49 am

Hmmm, let me think..............................................................NO!!

chylld

Post by chylld » Mon May 24, 2004 6:15 am

i actually do it once in a while :) the only fans that i can adjust now (hardvolted the in-case ones to 7v - go molex trick!) are the ones on the radiator, and these are decoupled papst 4412fgl's :) at max they make a white noise sound, kind of a wooshing as turbulent air gets sucked into the radiator. it's actually an extremely soothing sound.

wsc

Post by wsc » Mon May 24, 2004 9:03 am

I never go back to my noisy old box... I'm spoiled on my current system ;)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon May 24, 2004 9:06 am

No.

At work, I have have a Shuttle computer that sits next to me and is on all the time. Coming home to my quiet computers is usually a nice relief (except when my box fans are on, which is all the time these days).

douglas

Post by douglas » Mon May 24, 2004 9:29 am

Oy, no, and can't any more, either sold the old stuff, or gave it away. Starting out on this, before I found this site, I had bought two Vantec Stealth fans, they were cheap enough, and they said "stealth" on them. I used one, and found it not very stealthy, and the other one never made it out of the box. I gave it away the other day still in the box, with a warning that they are not very stealthy.

I put together a test box to try new motherboards, and I pulled out some old hard drives, a 75GB IMB deskstar (old, one of the first ones this size), and a WD 40GB. The IBM was so loud I couldn't keep the computer on, and this used to be my main desktop drive. I gritted my teeth through the noise of the 40GB WD drive enough to test the stability of the motherboard. This had to be easily less than half of the noise the desktop used to be, and I still couldn't stand it.

I was listening to NPR the other day, and there were some people chatting on about the "energy" of technology, and how it saps people so they become tired and depressed. They were agreeing about how they have to get away from the computer, how the computer has unplensant "energy", and then they mention the whirring of the fans. I started shouting into the radio, "It's the noise, the noise, not the evil 'energy', just get rid of the noise!".

Sorry, kinda got off topic there, but I thought it was funny.

Keitaro

Post by Keitaro » Mon May 24, 2004 9:37 am

I wish i could heh. It's summer here and I have to turn them up to keep my system at an acceptable temperature.

MoJo-chan

Post by MoJo-chan » Mon May 24, 2004 11:01 am

Sometimes, yeah...

I'm an ex-Amiga user. On that platform, the machines were very quiet in general (no fans) but the floppy drive made a very distinct noise, as well as noise from the HD of course.

Unlike Windows/Linux, there was no virtual memory, so you only got noise when you made the machine do some disk access. I know people here like silent HDs, but what when you only get noise when loading/saving etc it provided some positive feedback to your actions beyond just a busy pointer.

Many Amiga users instinctivly know when their favorite game has finished loading just by the sound of the floppy drive :)

Seal

Post by Seal » Tue May 25, 2004 9:17 am

I nevver miss the noises coming from my pc because at uni when i walk into the labs, i am reminded of the quiet bliss i have worked so hard for at home, it reminds me of just how much i love my pc and how quiet it is. My mate always says how jealous he is of my computer and he wants it badly! ehe, so do i!

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Tue May 25, 2004 12:52 pm

No.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Wed May 26, 2004 3:41 pm

Just turned down my system... I can think again!

miyagi_

Post by miyagi_ » Thu May 27, 2004 7:12 am

no ... but i can step into the spare room with the fileserver and be tone deaf for the next half hour, just to be reminded of how nice silence sounds.

5 harddisks ... 7 fans ... wow.