Quieting a Network Switch (3com 3300)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Golgo13

Quieting a Network Switch (3com 3300)

Post by Golgo13 » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:55 pm

While this isn't directly a PC related question , I am curious if anyone has attempted quieting some network switches? I was able to acquire a 3com 3300 Managed Switch but was blown away at how loud the two exhaust fans it has installed. They're 60mm Panaflos (FBA06A12H). I just got fed up and opened up the switch unplugged the fans.

Most switches can run without an exhaust fan(s), u think any harm will occur running the switch (3com 3300) fanless? It doesn't appear to run too warm. :?:

Anyone with past experience of can or can point me to some information on the subject?

If no, any suggestions on 60mm fans? I'm thinking the Panaflow FBA06A12L1A. Probably only install one and not two. :?: Edit:NVM saw another thread.. going with a Vantec

Edit: Modified Post.. got some more info

SmallPliskin

Post by SmallPliskin » Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:42 am

Now, I've seen everything. J/K Actually, I did the exact same mod on a 12 port 3300 Switch. I put one Panny 1A and a no name. Both are quiet but as with all low rpm 60mm, they don't push much air. If your doing a 16 port version, evaulate the unit carefully. The ICs controlling the ports can get pretty hot causing the ambient temperature to rise significantly. The two fans, like the old ones, blow air out but at a reduced CFM and dB. The air is warmer though. Anyway, I've been good for 3 months so far running 24/7. However, I would never _NEVER_ do this with a workplace unit.

some tips:
1. becareful removing the cover.. it's a bit of a pain just don't use too much force as to not break the latches

2. YOu'll have to remove the Power Supply PCB in order to secure the new fans with the plastic screws.

Other than that, you (we?) should be fine. I hope... Time will tell but again so far..so good.

Good Luck.. :o

man I love this site

jsw
-- Vendor --

Post by jsw » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:59 am

The 16-port Netgear FS116 is a fast ethernet switch that doesn't have a fan. I replaced my very loud SMC switch, and am now much happier...

--Jeff