Via Eden w C3: fanless or not?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dbri

Post by dbri » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hello,
<BR>
<BR>Been poking around looking at Via Eden 5000 and Via Eden 800 motherboards.
<BR>The 800 with a 800mhz C3 chip seems to have a fan in all the pictures. . . while the 5000 with a 533mhz 'ESP' chip does not. Is the fan on the 800 optional or what?
<BR>
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Good question. Optional is a curious word. Here's my take on it: I think they put the fan on the 800 because the HS is pretty weenie & in the small cases the EPIA boards are designed for, lack of case airflow to move the hot air around the CPU (even if it is only 10W) is a small risk. I'd suggest replacing the stock HS with something beefier so you can go fanless safely. Only trick might be that the HS has to be thermal-glued to the CPU. The stock one is, I think. I've heard a way to get the HS off when it is glued is to put the whole thing in the freezer (maybe in a plastic bag) for a while so the glue gets really brittle, then work it off carefully.
<br>
<br>If the HS fan is the only noise source (aside from a quiet HDD) in the case, then I'd say this is worth doing. But if you have a PSU with a fan, then leaving the HS fan in at like 5V, you won't really hear it.
[addsig]

dbri

thanks

Post by dbri » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:03 pm

thanks, i got the slower cpu 'guaranteed fanless' because
i saw some webpage on VIA somewhere that said
the 800 wasnt really designed for fanless operation.

freezer glue brittling? a little 'extreme' for me.

quokked

Freezer Glue Brittling

Post by quokked » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:23 am

It's not THAT dangerous, as long as you're gentle, I've done it to heaps of stuff that I've thermal expoxied, there's a http://www.articsilver.com here and it advises u of a different ratio of the epoxy so u can take it off easier and stuff, my advice is be VERY careful, I killed a Geforce DDR trying to wedge off it's HSF and a Peliter device, stick some cardboard below the leverage point as well.....
hope this helps, hope u don't kill anything :D
[/url]