Do you overclock / undervolt? Please add to stats!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Do you overclock?

No, never
13%
No, but I did (when I thought it still mattered)
9%
No, I undervolt / underclock
16%
Yes, and like it too
62%

Total votes: 112

Blooz

Post by Blooz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:45 pm

I overclock my systems - why turn down a free performance boost?

I recently installed an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe board in my main system, and it's running an unlocked Barton 2500 at 2.2GHz at 1.725V with an SLK800A/Titan aluminum fan pushing 38CFM without much noise. The case is a Lian-Li PC65B with all fans replaced by Panaflo 80MM "M"'s, which give good airflow. (All case fans are on a Sunbeam rheobus run at 7V most of the time..)

I have another system, an Epox 8RDA+/1700"B", in a Compucase LX-6A19 which is going to be used as an HTPC. Even though this box has 2x120MM Panaflo "M"'s, it's really quiet. I cut out all metal chassis punches, and these fans are also rheobus controlled. This system is also mildly O/C'd to about 1.9GHz, although the 1700 has run as high as 2.3 in a different 8RDA+ board in the past.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:13 am

Per my sig I run an AXP Mobile @ 2200mhz. With the Evercool modded Zalman and 1.6 Vcore it runs all day at this speed. Idles at about 47C and loads to about 53-55C.

I overclock because I can. My fans are all running @5v and honestly the only thing that makes noise in my system is my AC Silencer on my 9800 Pro. The reasons are generally the same for most AXP Mobile users. You pay $75 for a processor that overclocks like mad with little effort while at the same time the processor that runs at the speed you've overclocked to is $150. It's a "bang for the buck" issue with me. I can't silence my computer any more without swapping cooling components which I'm already happy with (exception the vid card cooler, not related to this) so why not do it? AXP's are all essentially the same cpu, so in a technical sense I'm not pushing this processor to anything it couldn't have been pushed to retail for. If I wanted cooler temps I could underclock/undervolt the CPU but why? 47C idle and 55C load is almost half of what the CPU is rated to take. Yes it might reduce its life a tad but how long would this CPU last anyways? I don't plan to still have it in 10 years so I'm not worried about the longevity.

As for memory it's the same way. Yeah it might produce a little extra heat but read up on people that overvolt their RAM. RAM chips can commonly take 3.0-3.2 volts with a normal lifespan and be perfectly fine, so why not bump it to 2.8 and get more performance out of your rig. It's not hurting anything. I run my CL2.5 Corsair Value Select at 2.8v with 2-2-2-11 timings if I need it, but most of the time I leave it at default voltage and bump the timings to 2.5-2-2-11. It gives a little extra memory bandwidth for RAM intensive applications. Again, Corsair VS 1gb kit is around $165. The same stuff with 2-2-2-11 capabilities right out of the box is over $250.

In my opinion, you paid money for this stuff, use it. If it's not hurting your silencing then get what you can out of it. No you might not notice a difference 80% of the time, but hell, it's fun to tinker with.

glisoni

Post by glisoni » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:03 am

Well, my two machines are both OC-ed. Unlocked [email protected] and P3 tualatin 1.2@9x150. P3 is dead silent (volcano 9 heatsink with some old psu fan @5V), only sound comes from old maxtor DX740. Vga is pasive cooled.
Barton is different, 3 case fans, 2 are intake, @5V, and one is exaust, @12V. PSU 12V also. CPU cooling is made of raptor hearsink and SmartfanII @3000 rpm. VGA is passive cooled. It is not silent, but bearable. I'm planing to either cut the case to fit 120 mm fans, or change it and get 3700amb, or maybe some cheap imitation.
Time will tell :lol:

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:14 am

Happy owners of the A64 (plus other microprocessors supported by the various softwares out there) can do both overclock and underclock/undervolt at the same time. You can do your normal work with low power and low noise and game or whatever you do with a top end performance, and it is automatic and reliable.

My A64 3000+ is overclocked at 2450 MHz/1.5 V when needed but it is usually running at 1225 MHz/1.1 V. I can only hear the hard disk noise, no fans at all in this mode. The fans rev up when gaming but then I don't care because the games have their own 'noise'.

I think Cool'n'Quiet is great. No more discussions for me regarding if I should O/C or not. I simply do, knowing that it will only be used when really needed.

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:34 am

You are missing an option: Both! My main machine is undervolted and underclocked while my movie making machine is overclocked.