Something new

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

happykingcow

Post by happykingcow » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

<!-- BBCode auto-link start --><a href="http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html" target="_blank">http://www.b-quiet.com/hliner.html</a><!-- BBCode auto-link end -->
<BR>I just ordered it but it hasn't come yet. i will let u guys know if its worth it when i get a chance to test it out
[addsig]

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:39 am

cool, I went to the local auto shop and got some sound foam and it seems to make a difference and it was light as, as well, not bitumen based, I stuck that into the other computer and it didn't do much :roll: all well, please tell us how it goes.

feldt

quokked: So did it work or not?

Post by feldt » Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:29 am

Don't understand if you mean it worked or not. Worked on one and not on the other?

I bought some really cheap 3cm (1.2") thick sound damping foam for cars. Its not bitumen based and light. Only attached to top of case and in unused 5.25" bays so far but it seems to make a small difference.

Even though I think reducing generated heat and turning down fans is generally more important I think damping can enable better cooling at the same noise levels (ie. can slightly turn up fans again without too much effect on noise). Beware that fan noise is generally more high-pitched than motor noise so these kinds of products may not be ideal.

quokked

Post by quokked » Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:49 pm

The bitumen based stuff didn't do much, didn't even calm down the vibrations, but the automotive foam that i got was good and it did work, :D, The placement of the foam is really important as well, and it did rise my case temperatures by about 5c but I think it's work the effort and the foam is LIGHT as well so it didn't add to the weight of my Case (I was carrying it round to and from uni)