will this work? :D

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

niels007

will this work? :D

Post by niels007 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:19 pm

Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting a Logitech Ultra X keyboard. Stylish, and less noisy than my current Logitech Internet keyboard. It however, doesn't have volume controls, and since I use my pc over my stereo that doesn't have a remote, I use this feature a lot!

Now, I was going to ask if someone knew a way to assign volume controls to a mouse (Mx-1000 in my case).. but I did find a way to do that. Mapping a 'keystroke' to the 'forward' and 'back' buttons on the mouse worked. As a keystroke I simply pressed the keyboard volume buttons and voilia..

However, this is a bit tricky when the keyboard itself doesn't have volume controls.. It then becomes rather hard to assign a non existing key(stroke) to the mouse :)

Will it still work when my keyboard stops having these controls? Would there be a way to assign volume controls to my mouse?

:)
Niels

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:35 pm

While I cannot answer your question regarding the key mapping for volume controls, the UltraX DOES have Play/Pause and Mute buttons. I have one, and I have loved it ever since it came into my possession. Ralf also has like, a ton stored away in case his current ones break? lol.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:26 am

If you can figure out what the scan code mappings for the volume keys are, you can possibly switch them to another key using the registry built-in key mapper. Of course, only go tinkering with your registry if you're careful and brave.

Here's more information on how it works:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/in ... n-map.mspx

I used the scancode mapper because I have a mac keyboard, and without any fix, the computer thinks the locations of the windows and alt keys are reversed.