Passively cooled XP 1900+

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Passively cooled XP 1900+

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:49 pm

I've achieved another one of those small victories on the way to a completely silent, yet powerful computer.

I've now reduced the number of fans in my case to 2. I've got a 92mm Papst running at 5v in the power supply, and a thermally controlled 120mm Panaflo exhausting out of the case.

Yeah, that's right, there is no fan on the processor. And its not some wimpy C3 either, its an AMD XP 1900+ :lol:

It's staying cool through a combination of the Zalman CNPS6000CU cooler, undervolting it to 1.55v, running CPUIdle, and the new part, a duct running from the 120mm Panaflo to the heatsink.

I wedged the thermal diode from the Panaflo in between 2 of the vanes of the cooler, so that the fan now adjusts according to the temp of the heatsink. Even after stabilizing at full load the fan is running at less the 10v.

The systems temps are: Cpu 42 at idle, 55 at full load. The case temp has remainded constant at about 30, with the hard drive hovering around 40.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:06 pm

Nice. The thermally controlled Panaflo -- is that a DIY job or store bought?

Gekkani

Post by Gekkani » Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Whooa man... An XP1900 cooling only by the 120mm fan case??

errmm.. so u have a cnps 6000 right? How the hell u do a duct for that heatsink??

U have a 92mm papst into your PSU... mmm.. i thought that only 80mm fans could be atached to the psu... mmm what kind of PSU u have?

And about 92mm papst... i have my 300w PSU running with a Papst 8412ngl (12db)... what about that 92mm @ 5v?? Less noise? more or less flow than 8412ngl? ... and only 5v? its the PSU enough cool?

Please can u post some pics of your system?? I want to see that duct :)

thanks

gekkani

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:29 pm

I'm working on an extensive write-up (with pics) of my ongoing silencing project. It'll probably be a week or two, depending on my workload at work, and whether I can get my stupid digital camera to work properly. I'll post it online when it's done. (and post a link here, of course)

But for now....

Mike, the themal control on the Panaflo is store bought. It came from Control Resources Inc. WISP II

Gekkani:

The duct on the 120 required some very inventive geometry. My computer is in a custom case, of my own design. (Actually it's built more or less into my desk. You'll have to see the pics :wink: ) The 120 sits directly above the backplane of the motherboard, right next to the PS/2 connectors, so its very close to the processor. At the moment the duct is a bit of a monstosity, all bristol board and masking tape. I'm going to use the existing one as a pattern to make a final one out of acrylic, or perhaps some aluminum plate I've got laying around.

My power supply is an Enermax EG365P-VE.
http://www.directron.com/eg365pfca.html
It came stock with 2 fans; an 80mm on the back, and a 92mm on the bottom. I removed the 80mmfan completely and replaced the 92mm with a Papst that I rewired the connector on so it'll run at only 5v. Check out Mike's excellent article on here Quieting the Enermax & other thermistor fan PSUs
I stole the idea wholesale from his article.

Hope that helps

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:10 pm

Quick question: are you running at stock speed? (IE: 1600 mhz?)

Other than that, does anyone else wonder why the ship athlons with such a high core voltage? The first thing I did when I got my 1500+ was drop the core voltage to 1.64 where it ran perfectly stable and anywhere from 7 to 10 C cooler. I don't understand why they set the voltage so high to begin with.

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:29 pm

Yeh, could u post up details of your VCore, multiplier and FSB settings? We're not hassling for the writeup, honest. :P

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:33 pm

The write-up is in progress, honest. In fact its going to end up as an article on here. (Thanks to MikeC for that) So consider this a bit of shameless self promotion.

My processor is running at its stock speed, 1.6GHz, with stock multiplier and FSB settings. I haven't gotten up the nerve to void the warranty and unlock it yet. The VCore is at 1.60V, down from the stock of 1.75V.

AMD sets the stock voltage at a level which will produce the highest production yield of stable processors. Think about it this way; at 1.75V something like 98% of the production run of Xp1900's will be stable through the burn-in process. The other 2% or so either get rejected as defective or get factory underclocked and are sold as 1800's or 1700's.
Set the stock voltage lower and fewer will be stable. So sometimes you get lucky and end up with a proc that will run a significantly lower voltage, but sometimes you get one that won't let you reduce it much at all. I have an 1800+ that gets flaky if I drop the voltage even a notch.

This is all, of course, only my understanding of how that process works, based upon the reading that I've done. If aybody has more information on the subject I'd love to learn more. (MikeC, TerryW, ChiefWeasel??)

Gekkani

Post by Gekkani » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:52 am

Please can you tell me what model of 92mm Papst u have?
mmm... only a 92mm fan@5v seems too little .. its safe?

thx

pd: i'm waiting for ur article .. i'm impatient.. errm.. well i'm anxious! :D ;)

gekkani

davidhooper

Post by davidhooper » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:14 am

Yup, I'm waiting with bated breath too! How much longer?!