SPCR featured in local Vancouver paper

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MikeC
Site Admin

SPCR featured in local Vancouver paper

Post by MikeC » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:07 pm

A while ago, someone suggested contacting the tech columnist at a local paper to see if he'd write up something about SPCR, maybe help drive more traffic to the site. So I did, an interview ensued, and here's the result: http://www.straight.com/editorial/tech.php About the paper: "Established as the lifestyle and entertainment weekly in Vancouver for over 30 years, the Georgia Straight is an integral part of the active urban West Coast lifestyle with a per issue readership in excess of 369,000." 8)

BTW, that UBC anechoic chamber student project mentioned in the article IS happening. I have the role of an "industry consultant" (or some such thing) for 3 final-year mech eng students who will be examining fans (noise / airflow / vibes @ various voltages) in a very serious way under my guidance -- along with their mech eng prof, of course. I've doggedly pursued this one for almost a year. Finally! :wink:
Last edited by MikeC on Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillyTrombone

Post by WillyTrombone » Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:30 pm

That's a great article. I hope more people start realizing how ridiculous some of these computers have gotten. And I alo wanted to say thank you for all the work you've putinto this site. The information within and the inspiration derived thereon have been really helpful to the planning of my next upgrade, and you can be sure that I'll share my work on it here (well, once the nForce2 microATX boards start shipping, anyway :roll: ). Keep up the good work, MikeC!

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Very interesting read!

Post by Gxcad » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:15 pm

especially as I've followed this site since its birth and a fellow quiet enthusiast, I really appreciate the great work Mike has put into the site. I've learned a lot from this site and his advice.

-Ken

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:44 am

Yep, congrats on the article Mike! :P Ive also been here since near the start, when i could come back once a week to check for new posts, now i check at work in the morning and theres been 15 posts while ive been asleep! Great site Mike, keep up the good work!

Melchior

Post by Melchior » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:22 pm

Last night I was out for dinner with a friend whom I hadn't seen in months, and she suggested that I pick up the Georgia Straight since it had an article about computer noise, and she remembered that I have an interest in noise control.

This morning I picked up the Straight, read the article, and was reminded of a project I did two years ago at UBC, under Dr Hodgson's guidance. At the time I had an AMD 450 MHz-powered computer, and I felt it was too loud, so I set up my own project. It was only a single-term project, so I didn't have the time to try many things, but I came out with an enclosure with baffles to silence the incoming and exhaust air-- it worked quite nicely in the anechoic chamber. I've probably still got my report hanging around somewhere, in case it's of any interest.

Regards,
-Melchior

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:26 pm

That's very interesting Melchior. I'll have to get Murray to help me find it. Small world. :)

Melchior

Post by Melchior » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:33 pm

I managed to find my report on an old backup CDROM. I tossed it on my website and I've thrown together a quickie webpage for it:

http://mtrs.org/MTRS/noisecontrol.html