It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thermal Grease
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:46 am 

Just a thought before I put a mail order in for some a few items:

What thermal grease do Zalman supply with their Flower Heatsink? My tube just says 'Zalman' on it. Is it rebranded from another manufacturer or their own?

I just read somewhere that a decent grease can help temperatures by 2-3 degrees and hence I can turn my fan even lower thus less noise! :) Therefore I was thinking of getting some Arctic Silver 3 which is apparently the best thermal grease available (please correct me if I'm wrong). If I swapped my Zalman grease on my CPU for say Arctic Silver 3, would that improve temperatures? Or is my logic flawed?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:04 am 

with the Zalman I think the grease they give u is a silicion grease, with the Artic Silver 3 or any paste for that matter it's more important in the way that u apply it more than anythng, u need a paper thin layer for all greases to work well and to apply it well.... but your logic is right more of the heat would get to the flower heatsink if u used a higher quality paste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:15 pm 

Hi all,

My 2-bits worth:

For many years, I have worked in the electonics industry and have installed many transistors and CPUs onto heatsinks using a standard silicone-based thermal heatsink compound. This material is available @ most electronic parts stores.

I cannot compare the material I use, versus the Arctic Silver 3 material, as I have not used Arctic Silver 3. I would think that most silicone-based thermal heatsink compound would be comparable.

Anyway, a small amount of the thermal heatsink compound goes a long way in transfering the heat from the CPU onto the heatsink. Ensure the compound is evenly distributed over the CPU, then attach the heatsink.

TerryW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:46 pm 

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm thermal compound comparison in case u're wondering the differences mmmm vegemite :-9