Monitor adapter
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Red Dawn [ Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Monitor adapter

Hi, this is a very off topic question (regarding noise anyway, well kind of).

I picked up a 17" MAC monitor a while ago which uses 15 pins at the connector end, and simply, will not fit my standard VGA jack on my video card, much to my dismay (as I want to test this monitor out before I toss it out the window ;)). So the question is: How do I find/make a adapter for it?

I'm clueless (not good at this electronic stuff), I just know that my somewhat noisy 15" has got to go, rather sooner than later...

Author:  quokked [ Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

what is the 15 Pin connector specficially ? is it a DVI connector that looks like the same as the http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html , I know apple's have DVI displays, the ADC display and maybe some other funky display modes I've never heard of b4..... :)
could be one of these connectors but how old is it?

Author:  Red Dawn [ Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

Haha, trust me, it is not a DVI plug, this monitor is OLD! :D

I have seen adapters that allow Mac users to use regular VGA monitors for their Mac's, I had a look around and found one of those adapters, it says "HD15F - DB15M" for the contact/adapter connection. F is obviously female, and M is male. I would be interested in getting a reverse adapter, sort of.

Here's the link for reference (mainly talking about the picture here ;)). It apparently uses four DIP-switches to set the resolution of the signal/output (?). This is exactly what I need! Just the complete opposite! :lol:

Author:  rally [ Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:42 am ]
Post subject: 

Have a look at the following:



Author:  Red Dawn [ Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:57 am ]
Post subject: 

Like I said before, it's not a DVI plug...

It's fifteen pins on two rows, and most definitely is not DVI. I have no idea what it's called, all I know is this: It's not DVI.

*phew* All done.

Author:  powergyoza [ Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:57 am ]
Post subject: 

I think your monitor has the apple legacy/apple rgb connector. Does it look like the lower connector on the vga card on this page? http://www.macstuff.nl/producten/VUMPDD-villagetronic-8MB.html

One of the adaptors on this page might work for your situation: http://www.griffintechnology.com/store/cables_adapters.html

Author:  Red Dawn [ Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yes, that's the one!

If I understand the product listing I would be wanting a "Mac connect adapter", however, I don't see any mention of standard vga connector in it. Regardless, thank you so very much for the information! :)

PS. Are you dutch?

Author:  powergyoza [ Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:34 am ]
Post subject: 

Hey, I'm glad that's the one Red Dawn. I'm pretty sure it's the "Mac connect adapter", but I'd check with them to be safe. I believe the standard VGA connector is HD-15, so that's okay.

No, I'm not dutch. I'm based in Vancouver.

Have a great day!

Author:  Red Dawn [ Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

I sent them an e-mail containing a few questions about that adapter of theirs. I'll have to get around to make a few visits to computer/electronic stores next weekend to ask about a similar adapters, because frankly, ordering overseas is a bit of a hassle. :)

Oh, and about that dutch thing, I just thought maybe you were dutch because of the link you posted (.nl), I'm quick to assume things it seems.

Great day to you as well powergyoza!

PS. I'll try and keep you informed on how things go (although this will undoubtedly take a while).

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group