Noise on my 2100+ AMD is driving me C R A Z Y !

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

felipe

Noise on my 2100+ AMD is driving me C R A Z Y !

Post by felipe » Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:40 am

Hi, I just arrived here.
And I feel like you guys can help.

I am a web developer from Bogotá, Colombia. I am also into music and jazz.

I have an AMD 2100+ on an Asus board, in a mini-tower cheap case with a 350w power supply.

THe thing started overheating with the normal fan, so i had to buy a Volcano 7 and another cheap case fan.

The system runs cool but the noise is just unbearable. Im desperate.

What would be the first step i should take ?
I'm thinking i could live with a little less cpu speed and just trade my processor for a slower one.

All help is appretiated.
Felipe

Queue

Post by Queue » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:46 am

Start with the fans...

If you replace your CPU and case fans with quieter ones, that will make a big difference. If it is still noisy look into replacing the PSU. What is the current PSU model?

Queue

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:25 pm

good luck dude..

I have an XP2100+ on an Asus AV7333 motherboard... I used cuda IVs .. 2 inside silentdrive cases.. 1 on its own (they r very quiet) ... i got a PSU from quietpc.com (pretty good nice and quiet)

And I just brought a new SLK800 heatsink to cool my CPU well... "upgraded" from a Zalman flower cooler... so far i've been struggling with this... using a panaflo 80mm fan isn't cooling it enough.. avg temps of 57 degrees.. peaking at stress near 70... i am going to get myself a nice 120mm papst fan.. if I get annoyed by their clicking i will try the (louder) panaflo 120mm

If CPU heat is the issue then you may struggle.. i got good temps with the Zalman cooler using its default fan , dunno what CFM its rated at but it managed to get the maxed out temps of about 58 degrees.. but it was MUCH louder than the current panaflo...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:44 pm

I'm thinking i could live with a little less cpu speed and just trade my processor for a slower one.
Given you are in hot Columbia, this basic approach is probably not bad. What's your room temp? Anywhere close to 30C? If higher, there's no way normal air cooling will cut it AND give you quiet. You probably have to move to water cooling and move the radiator far enough away so that the fan noise doesn't get you. Some pumps are supposed to be pretty quiet.

The alternative to replacing your CPU is to unlock it and then underclock and undervolt it -- keep the same 133 MHz bus speed but use a smaller multiplier so you get the benefit of fast bus speed even at lower CPU speed. See articles about this in Mods & Projects on the main site.

Dopes your motherboard let you use LOWER CPU core voltages? If not, you're out of luck.

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:52 pm

I found a cheap and fairly quiet CPU fan, which seems to be able to cool XPs up to 2600+.

It's called Arctic Cooling Super Silent Pro. It costs around $15-20 if you can get it where you are at. It's not strong enough for overclocking, but you should be all right if you run the CPU at stock speed.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:58 pm

I found... It's called Arctic Cooling Super Silent Pro
I don't think that one will cut it, actually. And don't you read SPCR reviews?? http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =48&page=1

felipe

Thanks!

Post by felipe » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:14 pm

Thanks a lot for your help.

My motherboard is a A7V333.

I live in Bogotá, the capital of Colombia and its cool here. The temp must oscillate between 18- 20deg.

The asus probe says im running at
CPU 57C
MB 33C
Fan 4600rpm

I read about releasing the lock on the cpu to underclock but the fact that there was soldering or modification to the Cpu required drove me away.

BTW, the voltage monitor warns that the 12V thing is running at 13,82V.
I sometimes get strange "system failed cpu test" messages, until i connect the cpu to another cord or ups.

Any more help is greatly appretiated. I just dream of the day i can have a silent pc just like most of you.

Regards,
Felipe

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:12 am

Well, Mike, it did get a 'recommended' rating, and what was reviewed was actually the TC version. According to the guy I spoke to, this version is inferior to the 'plain' one, for some reason I can't remember.

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:52 am

freaky dude.. you have the same system as me... i can't believe how cool it is over there :) in england it is well chilly... and i stress it by opening windows wide in winter... getting the MB temp down a bit more...

Just wanted to add that I too get a strange over 12v warning on my 12v line using Asus Probe... I assumed it was my quietpc.com 300watt PSU

Going for a flowercooler or an SLK800.. i'd vouch for the former at the moment as I'm still have trouble with the new (more expensive) SLK800.. plus the flower cooler comes with its own fan which can be turned right down for most tasks on the CPU, turned up only when you need to do something intense... ohh and it comes with the zalman fan mate too.. best value for money definately.. and performance is pretty good for me.. relative to the kling that is supposed to be the SLK800

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:22 am

What IS all this hype about the SLK-800? Reading through these posts I'd get the impression it's the only high performance heatsink on the market.

Sure, from what I've read, it appears a fine heatsink. So is the Swiftech MCX462+. Which took my nasty, noisy AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53GHz Palomino down from 55-odd degrees C (with stock hsf) to 45C (with nice, quiet Panny M1A on Zalman fanmate).

With Swiftech, not only do you get a positively state o' the art heatsink, should you have any questions or issues, it's backed by some of the best customer service you'll experience in ANY field, let alone computing.

First rate product, first rate customer service. I'll go with Swiftech, thank you very much. And whilst nobody has conducted an SLK-800 vs MCX462+ comparo yet, I'd put my money on the latter.

Cheers.

Nigel

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:18 am

I live in Bogotá, the capital of Colombia and its cool here. The temp must oscillate between 18- 20deg.
Wow, I had no idea! Dumb assumption: close to the equator, must be hot.
it did get a 'recommended' rating
True enough; given the low ambient temps, the +37C over ambient of the Arctic Cooling SST might work fine. I was going with the (wrong) assumption that the room temp would be over 30C...
SLK-800 vs MCX462+ comparo
coming :)

felipe

The psu is CODEGEN

Post by felipe » Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:54 pm

I found out which PSU i use. It's a Codegen 350W model 200xa.

The case is a minitower, cheap model.

I still have a big, heavy tower server case from an old Gateway pentium pro. Is the case really that important?

Again thanks a lot for your help, i was really desperate when i arrived here.

Felipe