Athlon Underclocking/volting Q

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimbobUK

Athlon Underclocking/volting Q

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:48 pm

Hi,

I am just trying out various options.. my Athlon is still locked (2100+) so I only have the altering of the FSB speed... I have just taken the default 1300mhz (as opposed to standard 1733mhz) option and am benchmarking it and looking at its heat... I dunno what chip its equivelant to but I can't say that I am blown away by the decrease in temp... all things being equal I have

Standard

idle: 54
Stressed: 67

Underclocked

idle: 48

I am about to test the stressed temp.. but this is not THAT low.. the thing is I don't think I am able to undervolt it any further.. my motherboard only goes down to 1.75 i think... its set to auto at the moment... but I do recall trying to undervolt it previously.. and the measure vcore was the same as on auto at the LOWEST setting... do you have to unlock the CPU to get access to the vcore settings... I have the Asus A7V333 motherboard.. fairly new.. it has COP to turn itself off if it gets too hot.. never tried it mind.... I've spoken on previous posts elsewhere about my probs with my new SLK-800 which I am using with an 80mm panaflo and i'm getting those unsuitable temps above... but underclocking alone doesn't seem to have made a HUGE difference... i guess undervolting is needed too? I will go look at the articles... underclocking my chip too.. dunno if I dare try to do it manually.. but if i was going to i'd probably want to go slower.. but not as slow as I am at the moment.. which on its won isn't making the kind of diff i was looking for on the CPU temp (i was hoping for 35-40 degrees idle say) is my 2100+ palamino still kicking out the same watts of heat (nearly) until i manage to undervolt it??? I will try and dig up my motherboard manual and see if there are any jumpers on the bios to enable different voltage changes

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:55 pm

just completed my underclocked stress test.. it came in at

57 degrees

not too bad.. similar to how it used to be fully clocked with zalman flower cooler and its fan...

I've found my motherboard manual in pdf can't find the paper one.. vcore adjustments are supported 1.1 - 1.85 or something like that... in my bios tho its only 1.75 - 1.85 .. highly annoying.. is this my CPU forcing the issue? i may contact asus about it but they're usually not very responsive on issues ;(

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:58 pm

Perhaps the lower voltages require a hardware jumper to access?

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:21 pm

not any that i can find so far... there is a jumperless mode, and a jumper-ed mode... mutually exclusive i guess... there are some jumpers for other features tho.. I will look.. I will also look how to reset it if it don't boot.. i guess that this is switching to jumper-ed mode tho? then using stable jumper based settings...