Where to find/buy extension cables

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steerpike

Where to find/buy extension cables

Post by Steerpike » Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:29 pm

This may sound like a simple question, but I'm stumped. I want to buy a number of extension cables for the thermistor sensors in my system (connecting to digitaldoc5). These are simple 2-wire leads, terminating in what I think are 0.1" spaced two-pin female connectors. These are the same connectors used to connect computer case items (power led's, reset switches, etc) to motherboards. I've already fashioned one, by hand, by taking an old case-to-motherboard pair, but I want to buy a bunch of them. Ideally, this will be a 'male-to-female' extension cable that will simply allow me to 'extend' the length of existing sensor cables.

Anyone got a tip for a source? If a 'ready made' item is not available, then how about a source for the 'parts' - a female and a male 0.1" two-pin connector?

I know I can cut the existing wires, solder in an extension section, etc - but I'd just rather avoid that if I can!

Purpose - to run temp sensors outside the case to a digitaldoc5 mounted outside (it's too messy to fit a digitaldoc5 inside my case). Thanks!

TerryW

Post by TerryW » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:07 pm

Hi.

My thoughts:

If you want to extend the leads of a thermistor, I recommend lengthening the wire leads & soldered the connections. Failing that, use a better connector system than those used for the case to mobo LED push-on connectors.

You will want connector pins that are gold-flashed for low ohmic resistance. You should also be looking for a connector pin that makes more than one connection point from mating pin to pin (i.e. 2 or more contact points, like circular pins). AMP makes some very good connectors & pins, but can be expensive.

A saying in electronics: the weakest link between A & B will be the inline connector (or something to that effect). Spend some time looking around and a little more cash will result in a better connector choice.

Good luck.