Best and Cheapest PC silence device

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

skidoddle

Best and Cheapest PC silence device

Post by skidoddle » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:36 pm

Hey folks I just found this site and certaintly interesting stuff and all but really I do not see the use or need for silent or quiet PCs there is a very easy and obvious fix to this......

Ok here it is go to home depot or your corner hardware store and buy a 4x4 foot piece of 3/4 inch plywood ......

Also if you have an ole wetsuit this will save u another $3 bucks.

Ok make a BIG box that your Puter will fit into with about 2 inches on sides and the top .......

Ok now cut up that wetsuit and glue it to the sides and top.......do this before u put the box together.....oh don't forget the glue that wetsuit material on the bottom!!!!

Oh put some wholes on the front and back and side .......not to many!!!!

Oh yeah cut some slits in front for whatever drives you have!!!

There ya go a sound box for your PC cost about $7 bucks and takes about 2 hours to make!!!

If you really are nuts about ya get yourself a fan and mount it in the top but hey no need my box works great and has good airflow!!!!......ie play with the wholes that you drill!!!!! Not enuf drill a few more!!!!!

Have had mine for 2 years and cannot hear a dang thang!!!!

Now I know that is not as fun as fooling with all these fun PC gizmos and toys but hey want your PC dead silent .....go make yourself a
SOUND BOX!!!! No no not the lock box THE SOUND BOX!!!!!

I have been reading here about noise cancellation devices and all this other fooo faaaa rhaaaa..............my what silliness!!!!!

Skidoddle.........PS I use an ole wetsuit I was throwing out so no cost there
Last edited by skidoddle on Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:18 pm

how much is a wetsuit?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:19 pm

Oh if only my hearing was as bad as your's.

quokked

Post by quokked » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:59 am

what is the specs of your computer skidoddle?

NeilBlanchard

I think your costs are a bit low...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:57 am

Hello skidoodle:

If you're saying that a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood only costs $4, then you need to tell us the name of your lumber yard! Last I checked a full sheet (4'x8') of 3/4" AC plywood was around $40, so half that plus the charge to cut it in half might be $25-30. If you want a nice veneer (say birch or oak or cherry, then you might have to almost double that. :oops:

As for cutting up old wet suits -- how many SCUBA/snorkeling divers do you think frequent this forum? I'll wager than anyone who does own a wet suit will hardly want to cut it up, when they can go down to their local fabric store or apolstery store (or even a camping store) and get some foam sheets for a fraction of the cost of a wet suit. :wink:

And cutting panels nice and straight takes a table saw, and fastening them into a box might require a biscuit joiner, or a doweling jig, or at least some glue blocks and/or metal brackets and screws.

My suggestion for the cheapest way to quiet your computer is to put it under your desk. :o