Removing Thermal Compond Glue

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tim

Removing Thermal Compond Glue

Post by Tim » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:11 am

Hi All,

I am trying to remove the heatsink from a graphics card, but it has been stuck on with a thermal compound glue.

It just wont budge. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it off without damaging the chip? ( driving me nuts at the mo.)

Thanks,
Tim

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:45 pm

It's most likely epoxy. You can try a solvent like acetone or even WD-40. But if it is epoxy you're probably going to have to resort to mechanical means to remove it. Epoxy is intentionally resistant to just about any solvent. Try to very carefully scrape as much off as you can with a razor blade. After that switch to fine sandpaper wrapped around something perfectly flat. Then just gradually sand your way through the glue.

Incidentally this is also a way to improve the cooling power of heatsinks. It's called "lapping" the processor. Sand it with progressively finer papers until its perfectly smooth and flat. It's ok to remove alittle bit of the plastic shell on the GPU, just so long as you don't go all the way through it.

quokked

Post by quokked » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:19 am

ummm does this mean that the 'sink is still attached to the card?
There's the old freezer trick that has worked for me a few times,
stick the card in a anti static bag and stick it into the freezer for a little while..
- then pull it out and the epoxy will hopefully really cold and brittle,

-now all u need to do is wedge a flathead screwdriver under in between the sink and the card,
- use a piece of cardboard under the screwdriver to protect the PCB of your video card

- now give the screwdriver a gentle *twist* to wedge it off, be very careful

------ be VERY VERY careful, and make sure the PCB is well protected,
also i've found that sticking the screwdriver so it wedges off a corner of the heatsink is more effective then sticking it in the straight sides of it
good luck :)

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:02 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: OH BROTHER !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Freezers ?
Screwdrivers ??
SANDPAPER ???

This thing cost like £350 !!!

Thanks chaps, but I think I'll have to find another way :D

Tim (the not so intrepid)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:12 pm

Tim wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: OH BROTHER !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Freezers ?
Screwdrivers ??
SANDPAPER ???

This thing cost like £350 !!!

Thanks chaps, but I think I'll have to find another way :D

Tim (the not so intrepid)
£350??????? wind up right???????

Freezer, if you don't have one do you live in the arctic?

Screwdriver, have you ever used a screwdriver?

Sand paper, pretty cheap..

no offense, most people would have atleast a freezer, and I am shocked how you get by in life without a screw driver. But on sand paper issue you can be forgiven for not possessing it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:20 pm

Hahahahahaaaa.....

I am an desert bushman with a stick, but no screwdriver and plenty of sand. Will that do?
:lol:
Sorry. I meant that I am a little daunted by putting my Parhelia card in the freezer and then trying to lever off the heatsink with a screwdriver before giving it a rub down with some wet'N'dry !!!

I am no stranger to a bit of DIY, but this is a bit too extreme for me!

Thanks though.
Tim
:D

Asmordean

Post by Asmordean » Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:18 pm

I've sanded my GPU but I hope to god that I never have to crack the expoy off of it. I suppose one day I will. Maybe by then the Ti4200 will be as well regarded as a S3 VirgeDX

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Sat Dec 21, 2002 7:19 am

hey just don't make the same mistake i did. the small cheap looking (not really cheap if you think of the consequences), WILL come off i you let you exacto knife do its wonders anywhere besides where the epoxy decided to stick. it's like the game of oreos except this one'll be must more expensive... you'll get the cream either at the heatsink or at the gpu.... haha well good analogy actually!

i got the stupid cream at the gpu and killed a good $200 USD card in the process....

anyway, chemically speaking, epoxy is bunch of ether bonds... which CAN be broken with most polar solvent if you give it enough heat. the trick is to do it without much heat... try this before you try anything else... get a bottle of... any alcohol and heat it up in the microwave to its boiling temp (don't boil too much cause it'll evaporate soon) and stick in the cotton stick and try to move as fast as you can. if it works, i'll be happy to die knowing i've spent a year studying org. chem.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:08 am

My way:
Grab some pliers (or a leatherman multi too -- shameless plug), hold the card really tight, grab on to the heatsink with the pliers and TURN (from the left to the right) until it comes off. Don't try to pull it off, because you'll either have the chip *and* the heatsink in your hands, or you'll hit yourself in the face with your pliers (which hurts).