Need some help with PSU and HSF recommendations

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spin

Need some help with PSU and HSF recommendations

Post by Spin » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:02 am

I recently purchased the following system:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon XP 2100+ with retail HSF
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
2 x 40 GB Seagate Barracuda IV
Generic CD-RW
Generic DVD-ROM

(I don't have more details on the CD-RW and DVD-ROM, because I stole them from an older system.)

The system is currently LOUD - It's got three generic case fans, the stock HSF, and a very noisy generic power supply. The case has very poor airflow for the outlet fans, so I'm planning on snipping it and adding wire fan grills.

What do people recommend for a decent quiet power supply in the 400W + range? How about HSF? I've heard that it may be difficult to fit some of the larger HSF on this motherboard due to the proximity of several capacitors on the MB to the socket A.

TIA!

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:48 am

Check the recommended section on Silentpcreview.com - they have all the neccesary stuff you need covered.

I would order stuff from:

http://www.newegg.com

...since I never seem to have trouble with them and their prices are good. I'd go for a seasonic PS, a zalman heatpipe for the Radeon card, and one of the reccomended HS/FAN combos on SPCR.com's recommended list....probably set you back about $120 bucks.

Then just unplug the case fans, they're probably not doing much anyways. It's all right for your system to run hot - just not *too* hot.

Spin

Post by Spin » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:14 am

Yeah, I've checked out the recommended lists, but the main thing that I was concerned about was whether some of the larger heatsinks would fit on the A7N8X motherboard. Will I have any problems fitting the SLK800 on this MB?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:24 am

Spin wrote:Yeah, I've checked out the recommended lists, but the main thing that I was concerned about was whether some of the larger heatsinks would fit on the A7N8X motherboard. Will I have any problems fitting the SLK800 on this MB?
I doubt you will have any problems, I have a Asus A7V8X and it has quite a lot of room around the CPU. Asus is a overclocking motherboard which is fairly well designed and spacious around the CPU. The HS should fit fine, if you want to double check just goto their website and get the exact dimensions and then get a ruler and measure the space you have. It should fit without any problems..