Logitech MX 510 has a high pitch sound!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:03 am

damnit my MX518 has this whine as well!
I never noticed it till I read this post and stuck the mouse up to my ear. It's not overly loud, thankfuly, but it's definately there. Now it's going to annoy the hell out of me :(
Time to search for a new mouse ten I guess... I'm going to write an email to Logitech.

EDIT: I contacted Logitech and they promptly replied saying that I could begin RMA proceedings (though by fax only, not email ???) However I just modded my MX518 so the warranty is void, I might send back the MX510 though, as it suffers from the same affliction. I'm not sure a new mouse would solve the problem though, sounds like Logitech has made all this line faulty.

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:34 pm

For those interested, I just bought a Logitech LX-5. It's equipped with the invisible laser thingy.

Interestingly enough, it's perfectly silent while on a table/mousepad, but when I raise it up to my ear, it begins to whine electronically. The sound is not loud at all, but audible at about two-thirds of an arm's length... Dies within a minute of putting it back on the table, though.

I also have a OEM-ish Logitech (no identifiable product name, looks like this) that's silent in both cases.

ajbch

Post by ajbch » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 pm

When i saw this thread my jaw dropped, i thought i was alone.

In the last few months i'v noticed the same problem and even thought of returning it for exchange thinking that it was a one off.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:55 pm

I must have looked like an idiot when I put my mouse to me ear... no sound from my Logitech MX revolution though.

TMM

Post by TMM » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:57 am

ajbch wrote:When i saw this thread my jaw dropped, i thought i was alone.

In the last few months i'v noticed the same problem and even thought of returning it for exchange thinking that it was a one off.
Me too.. my MX500 does it too

IvanL

Post by IvanL » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 pm

I have 2 samples of logitech mx518 and they both whine. Not really loud, but some times i can single out the sound and clearly audible if held against the ear.

I actually opened one of my mx518:s to see if the whine could be cancelled, after some close listening i located the whining to the 2 left mouse button-click boxes, on the front PCB. There are two boxes very close to eachother, one for the left click and one for the center wheel click, it appears that theese 2 boxes cause the resonance, which is then amplified through the mouse plastic body.

Cancelling the whine whithout impeding on the clicking comfort prooved to be a huge challenge, i initially wrapped the boxes with electric tape which silenced them, but also disabled my left mouse button :?

After some trys i eventually settled for a lower amount of tape that muffled the sound slightly but did not remove it, to ensure that the mouse buttons work. The front button PBC is also attached to the mouse housing with a screw, I loosened this screw and put some tape under it which also helped a bit with resonance, but unfourtunatly i didnt find any way to kill the sound completely, while keeping the functionallity.

*sigh* Life of a silencer, when my PC finally was quite enough, after changing tons of components the freakin mouse starts to bother me :wink:

Alex

Post by Alex » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:30 pm

MX 518 is one of the best gaming mouse you can get according to
ESReality MouseScore 2007.

IME 3.0 is also popular partly because it doesn't seem to have correction by prediction. It has a maximum 400 "dpi" setting but that is often enough for many players.

I have a totally silent Steelseries IKARI Optical that I believe has the same optical chip as the MX518 (not confirmed). It is silent with my ear against it. I like it a lot.

The mouse is a little too small for me but it is about the same size as the MX518 and the IME 3.0 according to what I have read. Some seems to think it is too large?

The tracking on the Ikari Optical is so good that the lift distance have become a "bad" issue for some CS gamers.
http://www.fragyou.net/2007/11/29/lift- ... i-optical/
Some prefer the more expensive Laser version but optical is sometimes better.

I also bought Steelseries new 7G keyboard but it is noisy and expensive. :evil:
There is a significant scratch noise at every keypress.
Last edited by Alex on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Strid

Post by Strid » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Thank you for oficially ruining the best mouse I've ever owned!! (MX510 blue) :?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:33 am

Thank you! I lost that link and just wasn't able to find it with Google as I remembered no details. You made my day! :mrgreen:

... and then it was ruined! Now that I have listened to my MX510 whine away on its mousepad - a Func 1030 with the rough side up, lovely if a tad small - I can't get it out of my ears. I've heard this whine before, but assumed it was the TFT's inverter or my tinnitus. G¤$$@%&!£.

Well, now I have a valid excuse to buy a DeathAdder, so thanks, I guess. :? (no seriously, thank you - I've heard the whine all along but could never suspect the mouse!)

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 am

Here is a picture describing mouse prediction.
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4471 ... ionfn3.jpg

Source is comment 27 here http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1463607#pid1463607
Oh yeah , Love-Nub , I replied you about the "Prediction Thing" , almost no one can do straight lines easily , so just try to draw a straight line to the left or to the right , on a few tries you should have the answer , if a "almost perfect" Line appears then there is Prediction , if it keeps going up and down then there is No Prediction.

Going to get my MX518 and my 3.0 Explorer and post a Comparison here :

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/4471 ... ionfn3.jpg

It was very easy to do a Straight Line on an MX 518 , but its hard to do on a IE 3.0 , its hard for me to do a Straight Line on a Real Life Pen , so you can see who has prediction and who doesn't :P.
IME 3.0 and IKARI Laser do not have prediction (but IKARI Optical has).

HiFi

Post by HiFi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:58 pm

they all do this, i've had 2 of them an both whined. i dont hear it unless im at a certain angle in relation to the mouse.