Going for silence

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gerwin

Going for silence

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:24 pm

http://www.low-noise.de/forum/upload/ct100/
Say I get myself a watercooled psu. Everything else is watercooled where possible: cpu, harddisks, videocard, northbridge even. My case is a Noisecontrol miditower completely lined with sound deadening material.
I'd really like to go fanless, but with a completely isolated case and such minimal ventilation, I'm afraid other vital parts, like memory, voltage regulators and such, will slowly but surely heat up to er, death.
Who has any ideas on how to keep these parts cool with as little noise as possible. Anything is welcome, from fans (yuck :x ) to nuclear cooling. I went this far, I might as well go the whole way. Please brainwave, I know it's a luxury problem, but I really want this.
For pictures of my existing system:
www.xs4all.nl/~philippo

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:44 pm

those water-cooled psu's are custom designs... there has been only one water-cooled psu in production (not in USA), and supposedly it's really expensive (~$200+ euro) and only 300w rated (don't wanna get into 300w rate is just a marketting gimick; it can probably take more or less, etc. etc.)...

moving onto other components... my guess is just a simple convection + conduction should be just fine.... i'm guessing heat will transfer to your water blocks by convection or to your case by convention as well.

at this point, your guess is probably as good as anyone's. if you got all that sound deadening material, i don't think having a panaflo blowing directly at memories @ 5v will make ANY sound if you have the case closed... and that will definitely suffice.... unless those sound materials are heat insulator as well. but i'm guessing your case should conduct more than enough heat to outside from those memories as long as there's a small circulation in the case.

let us know how you can go about mod'ding a psu.... if you have a design, let us know... especially i will be interested in getting in on that design if it's for some powerful mainstream psu such as truepowers 430w, etc. you probably have metal shop do the work for you so, having two or more same pieces of metals cut out may mean cheaper cost for all of us.

keep us posted!
Last edited by SungHyun7 on Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:17 pm

Those custom designed psu's are actually for sale. This guy built several of them and sells them upon request. They're not cheap, but for a 460 W it's better then anything I know, and from what I've read about it, it seems pretty well thought through. So I cannot help you with the design of a watercooled psu, sorry.
About your suggestion: If convection will be enough, I'd be very happy, but I doubt it. A quiet fan directed at the memory will help the memory, but it will not remove the heat from the case. And that's exactly my problem: How do I remove the heat that is (slowly, but still) generated by mobo, memory modules, voltage regulators etc. from the case. But thanks for the post! :D

SungHyun7

Post by SungHyun7 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:13 pm

gerwin,

how much are the psu's? if not too much, mind buying two (or more if others are interested) and shipping them over to usa? :) i have paypal account.

mm just curious... my purchasing day is coming close... my water cooling aluminum block design is complete.... just being lazy right now thinking of which components to buy...

i think i'll stick with p3, and will change my mobo to a brand new asus cusl2-c (from cusl2). not different at all... reason why is i screwed up the agp on my current cusl2 and don't feel so good about it.

i probably get a nv30 when it hits the floor or maybe a 9500pro with zalman 80a. i'm waiting for the amd hammer and prescott as the next real upgrade. when it comes out, i plan to keep the water cooling system and the box. by the way, will cpu block fit all? i was looking at the kit from swiftek. it doesn't make sense to me to move onto p4 at this point since i'm only playing counterstrike nowadays. :)

Gerwin

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:29 pm

SungHyun7 wrote:gerwin,
how much are the psu's? if not too much, mind buying two (or more if others are interested) and shipping them over to usa? :) i have paypal account.
A complete watercooled psu is 260 Euro + shipping. Or you can send him yor Enermax and have it converted for 150 Euro. I know, that's very 'ouch'. You must really really want that to do it. But I'm afraid I do. If you're still interested: The guy only has an email address, but no shop, because such constructions do not comply with European legislation. You'll have to mail him to enquire about specs, prices etc: [email protected]