Undervolting on an ASUS P4PE???

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TheEagleCD

Undervolting on an ASUS P4PE???

Post by TheEagleCD » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Hi people,
is there any way I can undervolt my Cpu (see my signature for specs) on the ASUS P4PE (Bios 1001)? I can raise the damn corevoltage to 1.850 or something in that area, but I can't lower it! Anybody got any ideas on how to change that?
Regards,
TheEagleCD

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:16 pm

I too have issues undervolting, seems Asus boards are designed for overclockers/overvolters.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:27 am

I've used four Asus P4 socket 478 boards this year (P4B266, P4B533, P4B533-E and P4PE) and none of them have the ability to undervolt, no matter what BIOS they're flashed with.

I guess it's the same with Asus Socket 370 (Celeron/PIII) boards too. I wanted to undervolt my PIII-S 1.4 on my Tusl2-C but there was no undervolting option in the BIOS. Ended up swapping to an Abit ST6 which let's you undervolt by around .3V.

EDIT: You may be able to do something by wrapping the vidpins. I know the guys over at OC forums do this to increase the default Vcore on their OCed P4s and I know some of the guys do it to their PIIIs to lower the default Vcore so maybe you can find a vidpin combo that would allow you to do it on a P4 as well. I'd surf on over to OC-forums Intel CPU page and read the vidpin stickies at the top of the page. If you can't find enlightenment there, try (carefully - I don't know how well a question about undervolting or underclocking will go over at a hardcore OC forum! :D) asking that question in the forums, maybe some one there knows the correct vidpin configuration ( if there is one) to undervolt by default.

TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:05 am

Damn it. I really like ASUS products, but this is definitly a negative thing!!!
I really don't want to take the risk and mess with the pins of my CPU, I can't afford to ruin it. Additionally it would be really time-consuming to find a stable value - Imagine you first want to test 1.500v , then 1.495, then 1.490,...etc.
But thanx for your information.
Regards,
TheEagleCD
P.S. I'll write ASUS an e-mail and get back to you when I get a response...

TheEagleCD

Now it's their turn...

Post by TheEagleCD » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:22 am

Just sent off my mail to ASUS. I'm really looking forward to their reply...

Dear ASUS Support.
I'm the owner of a ASUS P4PE Motherboard and I'm really content with its features, stability and general quality. One thing I do miss however is the possibility to undervolt (meaning supplying less voltage) to the CPU. I can adjust the voltage up to something like 1.850volts, but there is no chance to lower it, below the default (in my case 1.525v). The reason why I would want to do that, is to reduce the heat produced by the CPU, which would allow me to turn down my case fans, which would mean less noise. I've started a thread in the SilentPCReview Forum (http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewt ... =5949#5949) about this topic and other users agree with me that apparently ASUS boards do not support this feature.
Please look into this issue. I'd love to hear about this feature being implemented in a new BIOS version.
With best regards,
xxx

P.S. Every ASUS product Ive posessed was/is great, so keep up the excellent work;-)

Additional information about my system:

Intel P4 Northwood 2.4B GHz (C1-Stepping)
ASUS P4PE Motherboard (BIOS 1001)
512MB Samsung PC2700
ASUS V8420 Deluxe (driver version 31.40)
Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB (7200rpm)
Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB (7200rpm)
Windows XP Professional
Last edited by TheEagleCD on Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:44 am

TheEagleCD wrote:I really don't want to take the risk and mess with the pins of my CPU, I can't afford to ruin it. Additionally it would be really time-consuming to find a stable value - Imagine you first want to test 1.500v , then 1.495, then 1.490,...etc.
It's no more time consuming to establish a lower limit for undervolting than it is to establish an upper limit for FSB when you're overclocking. When you OC you keep raising your FSB and/or Vcore and test for stability until you're not stable any more, then back down. It's just part of the process of doing something like this. The biggest thing for me is giving up the system time while testing for stability, but if you have multiple computers it's no big deal.

TheEagleCD

Post by TheEagleCD » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:13 am

Sorry, I guess that I didn't express myself clearly...
What I meant was the fact that I'd have to try different pin-combinations in order to get the different voltages. Or am I wrong, and the pin-mod would only change the default voltage, therefore giving me a different voltage-range in the BIOS?
Thanx in advance,
TheEagleCD

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:24 am

You can't undervolt with Asus boards, don't ask me why they are just a bit silly. Does not matter what jumper settings you use on the motherboards. But if you are suggesting changing/rewiring the actual pins on the CPU, I wouldnt advise you to do it. I was thinking about getting a new motherboard but I think I will wailt for the Athlon 64 and see how good it is in terms of performance and cooling. It uses some over 700 pins in it's new format so hopefully the cpu die area is big.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:04 am

TheEagleCD wrote:Sorry, I guess that I didn't express myself clearly...
What I meant was the fact that I'd have to try different pin-combinations in order to get the different voltages. Or am I wrong, and the pin-mod would only change the default voltage, therefore giving me a different voltage-range in the BIOS?
Thanx in advance,
TheEagleCD
Yes you're wrong, wrapping the pins will give you a different (hopefully lower, if the guys at OCforums have included this info in their charts) default voltage and you'll still have a range of adjustments to work with. That's how it works with vid-pinning for more default voltage. These guys are OCing like mad and they need a lot of Vcore to run stable. The problem is that when the box first boots up the Vcore is briefly set at default (1.5V for most P4 Northwoods) even though the CPU is running at the OCed speed. This leads to lockups, no-boots and incomplete boots. Vidpinning forces a higher Vcore by default and eliminates these problems. So they'll wrap the vidpins for, say 1.65V and they'll start from there and raise there Vcore until they're stable. But no matter what actual Vcore they end up running at, their default "at boot" Vcore will be 1.65V.