trying to quiet my mini tower...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

canisestinvia

trying to quiet my mini tower...

Post by canisestinvia » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:23 pm

Hi all. I just discovered this site recently and wasted lots of time reading up on all the info provided here.

My question concerns the size of my case. In what I've read, one of the techniques in silencing a computer is having a very large case. By doing so, all the components aren't burning each other up or whatever.

I however built my current pc (p4 1.6a, geforce 3, wd 80gig) mainly to have a small microatx tower. I want to try a zalman flower heatsink on this and run with only an exhaust fan and the ps fan (both panaflos). Would I run into trouble seeing how this is all inside a mini tower? My thinking is with smaller space, the one exhaust fan is more efficient at pulling out heat. In a larger space, the panaflo isnt strong enough to pull out everything.

Id really like to get my system quieter than it is. My room has wood floors so its not as quiet as it once was sitting on carpet. I duno...tell me what you think.

Landau

Post by Landau » Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:47 pm

If the case sitting on the hardwood floor is causing noise, vibration, put a towel or some other padding under it. Please let me know how the zalman flower works out, I am curious if they work good.

canisestinvia

Post by canisestinvia » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:04 pm

nah, it's not vibrations. its just my entire room is wood and any noise echoes throughout.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:06 pm

For padding, 1/2" to 1" thick closed cell foam the full size of the case bottom works great. You can probably go fanless with a Z6500CU if case airflow is reasonable -- ie, vents are nicely open, cables tucked away or used to maximize airflow around CPU. See the p4 hs roundup under cooling on the main site.

canisestinvia

Post by canisestinvia » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:03 am

In your opinion, would a cpu be hotter in a minitower than an midtower if both were using same components with one exhaust fan?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:10 am

yes

wussboy

Re: trying to quiet my mini tower...

Post by wussboy » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:32 pm

canisestinvia wrote:My question concerns the size of my case.
Don't they all son? Don't they all.