Rubber band power

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnkenyon

Rubber band power

Post by johnkenyon » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:08 am

I found the proper rubber fan mounts too expensive so I improvised my fan mounts with rubber bands. :)
-john

ImageImageImageImage

jaypers

Post by jaypers » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:09 am

Brilliant idea! Thanks!

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:56 am

Nice idea, is there any gap between the fan, rubber band, and the case? If so does the rubber band dampen the vibration enough to prevent transmission to the case?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:45 am

Having done similar with rubber bands not only in PCs but also as string dampeners in tennis rackets for years, I have a little caution: they wear & break down pretty fast under heat. A few months may be all they will last. Just keep an eye on them.

johnkenyon

Post by johnkenyon » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:31 pm

Nice idea, is there any gap between the fan, rubber band, and the case? If so does the rubber band dampen the vibration enough to prevent transmission to the case?
The way I wound the runner band around the fan means there is just over 1 thickness of rubber between the fan and the case. The separation between the fan and the case is < 1mm. I have to admit my PSU is drowning the noise from the panaflows so I am not sure how much this is helping. I am going to see how long they last (hopefully more than a few months) and try it on the PSU too. Replacing them isn't a problem for the case fans but I don't want to have to disassemble my PSU every few months!

-john

seishino

1st PSU fan

Post by seishino » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:19 pm

Ah, memories.

My first PSU mod involved strapping the fan to the unit with string. Why string? I lost the screws :P. Between the fan and the metal was some foamy double-sided tape for decoupling, and that was pierced with a leather needle for threading (though anything would work: I just happened to have a leather needle). The case got a lot of weird looks, but the string lasted and lasted. You wouldn't believe how long old kite-string can last indoors.

-Chris Canfield