It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recommendations mini-itx motherboards, Via c3?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:49 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

Hi, I am building a new ITX system after seeing those cute things at mini-itx.com

I decided i would sacrifice one of these stuffed animals to the gods of quiet computing. My stated purpose is to build a DivX machine.

Video: Integrated is fine, TV OUT is a must.

CPU: I understand Eden platform (integrated, up to 800mhz) may not be able to play divx's (not snappy enough)? If so, I would need an ezra or one of the new c3 cores. these however generate more heat. Any clues on speed?

Hard drive: if i put one, it will be seagate barracuda. was wondering if perhaps a board would have bootp capability, then somehow i can run this off a network server. however i would not be able to bring the doll to a friend's house :)

Ethernet: integrated lan is fine, however was planning to use a wireless USB card i have lying around, and hope it's snappy enough to pull stuff off the ReplayTV or another computer's hard drive. wired ethernet still needed as backup.

PSU: this is what makes me think, i would need enough to power all the above and disippate that heat. would prefer internal, will see how much space i have inside that stuffed duck. I have a seasonic 300w spare, that would certaintly be enough but it may not fit! if so, i will need a small quiet PSU.

CDR/DVD drive: would be nice since i could then play VCDs or standard DVDs off this. also, don't have region-free player and i have some Asterix movies I bought (i live in the US).

Any help would be appreciated, specially with a small PSU and mobo recommendation. Also, CPU speed for divx box.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:52 pm 

Video: These are part of the ITX spec AFAIK...

CPU: 933's seem to be OK, but the 1 GHz (Ezra or Nemiah) is better. See mobo for cooling../

HDD: Barracudas rock! The jetway boards have disk on chip, which is a bootable chip drive. Review of the Jetway: http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/b860t/

PSU: The little Morex cases have externals...some have internals.

CDR/DVD: Slim combo or Std. combo, depends on case

Mobo: The jetway has a socket, which means you could upgrade the CPU (big +). You can also put most (again, dependant on case limits) socket 370 coolers on the CPU, which opens up the possibility of passively cooling the 933 adequately.