Geforce FX and PSU selection

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Herb W.

Geforce FX and PSU selection

Post by Herb W. » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:23 pm

Does anyone know the amperage or wattage requirement for the FX, and what voltage rail this power would be drawn from? A Google search proved fruitless. Knowing these specs will make it possible to determine the quietest PSU for use with this card. (I know - "Who's going to hear the PSU with that blower on the FX blasting away?" :shock: I am hoping someone will come out with a quiet FX solution - Zalman, or Gainward...)

And does anyone have the same specs for the 9700 Pro? Apparently the next iteration of the Pro will actually require a little less power than the current model...

Thanks.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:23 pm

I believe you are on the wrong website...

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:52 pm

Hardly...This post addresses a question pertinent to assembling the quietest system that can support state of the art gaming - directly related to SPC's mission of helping promote quiet computing, and no doubt of interest to some readers.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:29 pm

It's been reported to be in the neighbour of 75-80 watts at max. That's a stoopid amound of power isn't it?

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:36 pm

That is a lot of power, and it makes it all the more important to know what rail it is being drawn from to make the best PSU choice. Standard AGP cards are indicated by AMD specs as drawing on the +3.3 rail, but I suspect that these cards (including the 9700 Pro) draw most of their power from the +12 rail - anyone know?