LCD monitor & whine noise (related to brightness?)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vahagn

LCD monitor & whine noise (related to brightness?)

Post by vahagn » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:22 am

long time lurker here... :)

Anyway, I got myself an inexpensive and well priced monitor: the CMV CT-720D sometime around february 2005 (iirc) :) .... So about 3 months ago i started to notice that there was a high-pitch whine coming from the monitor. I began changing settings via the monitors UI, i quickly found that adjusting the brightness of the monitor to anything over "Brightness: 56" would remove the noise, but if i set the brightness to anything between 0-56 the whine noise is very apparent and very annoying. Problem is that the brightness level really strains my eyes but the noise is bugging me alot :shock: ... I had hopes that perhaps my ears would tune out and ignore it, but they haven't, so maybe there are some alternatives?

A few thoughts i've had is that it's something to do with the backlight? so it would be interesting if maybe someone else has experienced this and knows of a simple solution?

Otherwise, maybe there's something i can do to resolve it externally such as buying a tinted cover for the monitor?

Thanks for any responses or discussion about this.

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 am

You can try to set your monitor brightnes over 56 and lower brightnes with your software video card properities to have brightnes @ lower level. If that noise is not related to the real brightnes of your screen, but to the hardware UI settings - it can help.
Last edited by VERiON on Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dorion

Post by dorion » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Maybe you have a particularly loud backlight. Dont most LCDs use cold cathodes? They use AC current and it bothers some people when they see them blink, never heard of people hearing the buzz though.

Fonzie

Post by Fonzie » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:33 am

Same here m8

Just bought a Samsung 930BF

Everything below 70 in brightness starts the whining noise

50 seems more easy on my eyes

Setting in display driver is not really the same effect, the white will still be bright but the other colors will be darker

Any help appreciated!

vahagn

Post by vahagn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:17 am

hey thanks for the advice guys. I've got an x800XL and changing the brightness via display settings has helped alot actually... It kinda felt like cheating but it does the job. :)

fonzie: i just helped a friend choose an LCD last week and decided to suggest he gets the same monitor as you (Samsung 19" 930BF), sad thing is that his comp is so loud that i can't hear actually anything else. :shock: I guess you could mess around with the display settings some more as it's basically the only way. Tho' i was seriously starting to consider butchering up my LCD just to find the problem! btw, from the searching i did about this problem, it's not much common with LCD's but here is an article which is the most relevant thing i've found so far... I'll keep looking tho' :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:10 am

Yep...the article is spot on. Inverter resonance.

Gee

Post by Gee » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 am

Hi

I have also bought a Samsung 930BF monitor Fonzie. Great monitor, but it's one of the first thing I noticed, when I set it up. I really thought I was on my own when I heard the noise emmiting from the monitor. I hope Samsung review the problem and fix it! When the brightness is above 60 I cannot hardly hear the noise anything between 0 and 60 it is quite audiable :(

I have also noticed this monitors factory settings are a bit too high. The brightness needed lowering (making the monitor whine) and the Gamma turning up because the colours were too saturated!

If anyway comes up with any ideas that would be great :?:

navratilova

Post by navratilova » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Yeah, I have an LCD monitor from dell and it stretches out my screen. I have tried changing the resolution but it is still stretched in every one and the one that may not be stretched is only half the monitor and surrounded by a thick black border, it's nearly impossible to see anything like that. How do I make my wide screen LCD monitor quit stretching my screen out? Can anyone help me out with this?
Last edited by navratilova on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 am

HOLY NECROPOST, BATMAN! You do realize this topic was 3 years old? :shock:

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 am

Wtf is wrong with "necro post" anyway? If you don't use search, you suck, and if you do, you also suck?

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:56 am

but there is much more recent and suitable topic about mointor noise

and the matter of image stretching does not belong here at all

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 am

lm wrote:Wtf is wrong with "necro post" anyway? If you don't use search, you suck, and if you do, you also suck?
alecmg already explained but I'll add another reason:

Common sense?!

What benefit could there possibly be from bumping a 3 year old topic? It's not 1 year old, it's 3 years old, from 2005. There's a big difference.

If the topic is too old just make a new one. But as pointed out already by alecmg, there are much more recent and more relevant topics discussing the matter.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Well, clearly image stretching is totally offtopic, but the necro post thing is totally different matter.

Suppose it were totally on topic instead. Now, obviously if there are newer threads about the issue, then it would make sense to post to those. But if everyone posted to a thread that is already relevant to their issue, wouldn't that kind of mean that there are threads that get old because the whole subject is not relevant anymore, and long threads about relevant subjects.

I think it is worse, that people just start new threads, when there's another thread from a couple days or weeks ago about the exact same subject. Information gets scattered and hard to find.

For example, why should there be more than 1 thread about brightness-related monitor whine going? What benefit would 2 different threads about the same subject have instead?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:46 pm

<sigh> Instead of criticizing his forum etiquette, you *could* just answer the question. As I see it, debates of necro posting and its merits is just as off topic. No more please.

@navratilova: You need to choose a resolution that suits your screen. If you have a wide screen LCD, you need to choose a resolution in a 16:10 aspect ratio; your old "square" resolution won't work. See if you can go on Dell's web site and find out what the screen's "native" resolution is and use that. If that doesn't work ... come back and we'll work on it from there.

All the best,

Devonavar

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 am

set your monitor brightness to 100%, and then use software to reduce the brightness sent to your monitor from your graphics card. Typically what you hear is the voltage regulator inside the monitor changing the voltage to reduce your brightness. If you leave it at 100% brightness on the monitor it usually doesnt go through this voltage regulator and thusly doesnt produce noise. Use software through your OS to reduce the brightness if its too bright at 100%.

elendil850
Friend of SPCR

Post by elendil850 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Wow. I googled this problem and SPCR came up. ashamed to say that I didn't check here first! :roll: Thanks for the topic guys, the whine from my new monitor was about to drive me to insanity!!!

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am

Aris wrote:set your monitor brightness to 100%, and then use software to reduce the brightness sent to your monitor from your graphics card. Typically what you hear is the voltage regulator inside the monitor changing the voltage to reduce your brightness. If you leave it at 100% brightness on the monitor it usually doesnt go through this voltage regulator and thusly doesnt produce noise. Use software through your OS to reduce the brightness if its too bright at 100%.
This does not have the same effect than setting the monitor directly to less than 100%. It's not really a solution.

LebakTFark

Post by LebakTFark » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:22 am

Aris wrote:set your monitor brightness to 100%, and then use software to reduce the brightness sent to your monitor from your graphics card. Typically what you hear is the voltage regulator inside the monitor changing the voltage to reduce your brightness. If you leave it at 100% brightness on the monitor it usually doesnt go through this voltage regulator and thusly doesnt produce noise. Use software through your OS to reduce the brightness if its too bright at 100%.
I have this same buzzing problem which disappears at maximum brightness of my HP LP3065 display. But on max brightness I see poor black levels so I use the minimum brightness instead, I have got used to the loud buzzing and it is ok now.

minde28383

noisy LG 23" M237WDP

Post by minde28383 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:29 am

I have the same problem with LG 23" M237WDP. I can hear whine when brightness is between 30 and 90. This sound is annoying. Otherwise monitor/tv is good.

By the way it's just few days I have this LCD. If it will get very frustrating I'll go for change.
Last edited by minde28383 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

minde28383

noisy LG 23" M237WDP

Post by minde28383 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:31 am

How manufacturers can release whining product into market. Some testing is needed before release.

Just an ordinary rabbit

Post by Just an ordinary rabbit » Mon May 24, 2010 12:47 pm

I have an Acer V243H which also makes an annoying buzzing noise at anything below 97% brightness or when Auto Contrast Management is turned on.
I have to admit that I didn't notice it at first (due to PC noise) but now my PC is quietish it is quite annoying.
I can use software controls when I need to lower the brightness level, but its a pretty annoying flaw on what is otherwise a pretty nice monitor. (gotta love 24 inches of internets!)