DIY heatpipes

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Vazkor

DIY heatpipes

Post by Vazkor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:59 am

Do you think a couple of copper bars about 2 inches long could be used instead of heatpipes? I've got these two heatsinks I'd like to link togheter ...

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:35 am

Doubt it- you'd be better off with proper heatpipes instead of metal bars. The copper pipes work well because the liquid inside them carries the heat, not the copper itself (it does a little, but not compared to the liquid). Copper is only used because it's more effective than other metals to transfer heat into the liquid at the source, and from it at the sink. An ideal transfer system would have no pipes at all, but that runs into problems with evapouration...

Hope this helps.

Vazkor

Post by Vazkor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:07 am

I see, thanks for the advice.

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:34 am

Dont forget though- if you've got a business email address, you can usually persuade someone to part with their heatpipes if they think you're going to buy lots of them... :wink:

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Vazkor
At this length you do have а chance, but there's no guarаntee longer bars would work.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:15 pm

I think copper pipe can make neat ducting-but merging heatsinks? I'd guess each sink,if well designed is fairly self sufficient-were a copper bridge well attached-such as soldered-it would add a little metal..more heatsink-but also inhibit airflow a bit.. Now if your pipe is long enough to extend beyond the case walls and link up to both sinks-then you have the pipe also piping air in from outside the box-assuming the heatsink fans are laid out so as to create some draw....so it becomes also a duct as well as some heat conducting copper.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:21 pm

With it now no problem to run an X2 3800 fanless with a Ninja..I'm not sure some of the more exotic engineering is still worthwhile.