Bad idea to remove fan from printer?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jorwex

Bad idea to remove fan from printer?

Post by jorwex » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 am

Hey all,

I've near silenced my computer, and it's just wonderful walking into the room and wondering for a split second if I turned off the computer, or if the monitor has just gone into standby :)

However, my laser printer (which, by the shape of the room, must stay within 5 feet or so of my desk unfortunately--otherwise I'd just move it) must have a fan in it, and it runs for quite a long time after even printing a single page.

It's a Lexmark E238, and is quite sufficient for my needs. Could I just go in there and remove the fan? Or maybe wire a switch to it that's closer to the desk...it's in a space that makes it quite annoying to bend down and flip the power switch off -- plus I thought it was a generally good idea to keep the printer on so it can keep itself clean, or do whatever it does every hour or so when it makes a noise for a second.

How do I silence my printer? Maybe switch the fan? Quick and dirty solutions are welcome :)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 am

Really bad idea, some components of Laser printers get very very hot (hundreds of degrees Celcius), without the cooling fan, you simply wont have a printer.

There is no need to keep a Laser printer on as they dont do anything at all when not in use. The simple answer is to turn it off when you have printed something (wait until the fan slows down from its high speed whilst printing, as this is a good indication that it needs some serious cooling). Turn it on when you need to print, wait 10 seconds and print stuff

Andy

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

No.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm

andyb wrote:Really bad idea, some components of Laser printers get very very hot (hundreds of degrees Celcius), without the cooling fan, you simply wont have a printer.

..snip..
Fire risk is probably a factor as well.

How about a fan swap ?(SPCR recommended of course)
can you access the fan or find its specs?

How ghetto are you willing to get with modding? crawl space mounted fan with ducting to printer?

jorwex

Post by jorwex » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:52 pm

mmm duct mod.

well, if and when I tear into it, this will be the first place where I'll ask for help.

All I wanted to know was if it was okay, and it seems like it's a bad idea. Thanks for the replies everyone!