Coil whine strangeness/oddity

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fuglyduckling

Coil whine strangeness/oddity

Post by fuglyduckling » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi all, hope someone can help me out here... I have diagnosed my PC as having coil whine, but don't know where it's coming from exactly, so hopefully you guys enjoying playing detective and can help me narrow it down before I start sloshing silicone/nail varnish/superglue around. Here are the symptoms:

Mobo: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe

Whine is audible directly from the board and is getting amplified through my headphones (whether plugged into front or back of case)

Whine only audible (through headphones at least) after Vista starts loading - not during BIOS screens (black + white)

Whine disappears during scrolling of a page or (and here it gets interesting) during the 6 seconds following a tone/sound being played on the PC - e.g. there is no whine for 6 seconds following the 'ding' from adjusting the volume, or the end of an mp3.

The whine correlates with a change in the MOBO voltages; the whine starts just as the 12V voltage drops below 12V (to 11.something) whilst the others increase slightly, and fluctuate more.

Penny for your thoughts?

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:33 pm

You need to list complete system specs.

FWIW, I had an A7N8X to test for a while. With an ATI card (Radeon 9800), I experienced coil whine from my PSU. Switching to any nVidia based card solved my problem. I later sold the setup to someone less picky :)

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:42 pm

Sounds like a problem with your sound card. Are you using onboard sound? Any access to a dedicated sound card?

fuglyduckling

Post by fuglyduckling » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:54 pm

PSU: Seasonic S12 430HB
Processor: AMD Athlon 3000+ (neither over nor underclocked)
Mobo: Asus A7N8X-deluxe (nforce 2)
Sound: Onboard
Graphics: nVidia geforce FX 5900

I don't have access to a dedicated pci sound card, unfortunately. buying one is a last recourse but I'd rather get rid of the whine by changing the voltage settings in my BIOS or shoving some superglue/blutac etc on some coils - I'm just having a hard time finding the right one. I suppose it must be close to an audio component of the board if it's getting picked by the circuit leading to my headphones?

jmkhenka

Post by jmkhenka » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:56 pm

It should be the sound card, integrated cards have this problem more often then not.

The coil noise from the board i dont know how you can solve but useing a PCI sound card (a 10-15$ one should be all you need).

Try and dissable the integrated card and se if the MB coil noise is removed.

fuglyduckling

Post by fuglyduckling » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:38 am

how do you explain the absence of hissing when scrolling etc?