LCD Coil Whine

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

LCD Coil Whine

Post by Nick Geraedts » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:44 pm

I recently picked up two 20" Acer monitors (AL2016W) and the screens themselves are great. My only beef with them is that there's what seems to be coil whine for about 10 seconds when they're first turned on, or resume from standby mode.

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to eliminate this?

TIA.

SecretFire

Post by SecretFire » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:23 pm

Possibly, although it would require you to open the panel and void any warranty. I know a few people have had limited success damping vibrations in inductors by applying hot glue to them.

My BenQ Fp737s-d (rather old by this point) often makes a high-pitched whine while in standby or turned off (but with the power cord still connected). Unfortunately, there aren't really any easy fixes.

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:53 am

There's something called "coil lacquer" that was used by old-timey TV repair shops to quiet coil whine. No idea if it's still available.
note
- coils are OK with running hot, so don't worry about reducing cooling
- if you're thinking about doing this for a CRT, and don't already have an idea what parts are high voltage, please don't open the case. You could get a really nasty shock - possibly fatal. If you can find one of those old time shops, take the monitor there instead.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 am

It's probably just the inverter warming up. It's the same reason fluorescent lights (which is what the backlight in the LCD is) buzz in a ballast. If the sound goes away after a few seconds, consider yourself lucky. Most inverters buzz all the time or not at all.

Does changing the brightness output of the display change anything in the pitch of the sound? How about changing colors of the backdrop from lighter to darker?

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:17 pm

I know 2 more LCDs that do (buzz when powering up/changing res) - mine

But since it's only for a moment it's easier to simply ignore.