Vertical case in horizontal position: big problems expected?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Andario

Vertical case in horizontal position: big problems expected?

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 am

Hi guys, a new user here.

I´ve been reading posts like crazy for the last days, and I think I already have a decent idea about which components I should be getting for my new system, that will have a c2d e6600 an 8800 card in it.

The best option for me (silence and size wise) seems to be the Antec Solo, but it´s too high for the place I´m thinking about for it. I´ve been trying to find a horizontal case with 120mm vents and good noise dampening, but it seems that there´s nothing out there that comes even close to the Solo's noise and cooling performance.

So, I´m thinking about placing the Solo in horizontal, but I haven´t found much input about this (actually, I´m worried that I haven´t found a single Solo user with the case positioned this way). I assume that the airflow is going to be conditioned to some extent, but I don´t really know if it´s going to be that bad (considering both cooling and noise) that it won´t make it feasible.

For example, I´ve read that I may have problems with some kinds of fans working in horizontal, and perhaps the height of some of the components (Ultra-120 seems the best bet for me) may cause me some problems.

I´d appreciate your input about this. Thanks. (And sorry about any mistake you might´ve found in my words, since I´m not a native speaker)

Edit: I´m editing this just to clarify that the use of some kind of "good" case feet for the side panel is expected. Since I haven´t still searched about it, I don´t know whether or not it´s possible to attach those feet without perforating the side panel and/or if I may encounter any other problem by doing this.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 am

I'd say you'll probably be fine. Where I work, there are at least ten computers of various brands (all P4) on their sides......for maybe five years. No particular problems......other than without filters, they fill up with dust. I'm not sure about the HD suspension on that case, however, when you lay it over. I'd for certain check that carefully.

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks Bluefront. I already thought about the dust issue (specially considering the side intake vents in the Solo, that now will be "upper" vents... :roll: but I think that it can be overcome cleaning the case more frequently and/or installing some kind of home-made filter.

The HDs are suspended in the Solo, but as far as I understand, gravity shouldn´t be a problem using that sytem either (I already found in some other posts that there are no problems by placing the HDs in vertical, I don´t understand why having them suspended should be a problem. DVD is uncomfortable, yes, but I can deal with that).

About your working place, I guess it´s not the same case I´m talking about, since I assume that the enviromental noise in your working place, even if for some reason is "low", will always be much higher than in a quiet room at night, right?, and what I´m trying to get is the most silent computer possible, just like everyone else around here I guess. Anyway, it´s good to know that you haven´t had problems in such a long time. :)

dhanson865

Re: Vertical case in horizontal position: big problems expec

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:15 am

Andario wrote: For example, I´ve read that I may have problems with some kinds of fans working in horizontal, and perhaps the height of some of the components (Ultra-120 seems the best bet for me) may cause me some problems.

I´d appreciate your input about this. Thanks. (And sorry about any mistake you might´ve found in my words, since I´m not a native speaker)

Edit: I´m editing this just to clarify that the use of some kind of "good" case feet for the side panel is expected. Since I haven´t still searched about it, I don´t know whether or not it´s possible to attach those feet without perforating the side panel and/or if I may encounter any other problem by doing this.
Only your CPU fan would be an issue and only if you had a "top down" heatsink. A tower heatsink would likely leave the fan vertically mounted even when the case is on its side.

I've seen many case feet that are glue/stick on so you could add them to any flat surface.

I'd try it without the feet first or just lay a towel, blanket, or foam pad under the case. The biggest reason for feet is so a bottom vent isn't blocked by carpet. The other big reason is to absorb vibration when sitting on a hard surface. Since the side of the case won't have air vents you can use any dampening material you like and it doesn't have to be permanently attached.

I'd just try to make the "left" side of the case the top when you lay it over so you can get in easier and so any top down cooler for the CPU would be facing the correct direction.

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:41 am

dhanson865 wrote:Only your CPU fan would be an issue and only if you had a "top down" heatsink. A tower heatsink would likely leave the fan vertically mounted even when the case is on its side.

That´s interesting. If I understand correctly, for the best possible flow I should be placing the CPU fan in vertical position, right? If that´s the case, both the Thermalright Ultra-120 and the Thermalright HR-03 with attached fan (for the GPU) would fit the bill.

I've seen many case feet that are glue/stick on so you could add them to any flat surface.

I'd try it without the feet first or just lay a towel, blanket, or foam pad under the case. The biggest reason for feet is so a bottom vent isn't blocked by carpet. The other big reason is to absorb vibration when sitting on a hard surface. Since the side of the case won't have air vents you can use any dampening material you like and it doesn't have to be permanently attached.

Thanks for letting me know about the feet. I´m not that sure about the towel thing, since I imagined that the noise dampening coming from good rubber feet would be superior than what I could get even using a thick towel. Am I wrong about that? Moreover, if you think of it the originally "side vents" on the Solo now become "lower side" vents, so they would be obstructed by that towel.

A possible solution considering what you said could be trying to find a thick enough dampening panel to lay the case (instead of the feet), provided that the panel is thick enough to leave room for the lower vents to breathe, but I don´t know if such thick dampening panels exist. Wouldn´t be the rubber feet a better solution overall??

I'd just try to make the "left" side of the case the top when you lay it over so you can get in easier and so any top down cooler for the CPU would be facing the correct direction.
That´s right, since the originally "right panel" is the one that holds the motherboard, that should be now the bottom one if I don´t want to have my 800g cooler hanging from the roof... :P

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:12 pm

Sorry Andario, my workplace is too noisy to tell anything about the computer noise.

Running hard drives vertical is perfectly ok. What concerns me is that case drive suspension. It might not work well with the case horizontal.....I just don't know. :?

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Bluefront wrote:Sorry Andario, my workplace is too noisy to tell anything about the computer noise.

Running hard drives vertical is perfectly ok. What concerns me is that case drive suspension. It might not work well with the case horizontal.....I just don't know. :?
No problem Bluefront. Although it´s definitely a nice thing to consider in a Silent PC forum... :wink:

About the hard drives, hopefully someone will chime in and let us know.

(Ignorance is a very, very bad thing. Almost as bad as not having a silent computer...)

Edit: Just to clarify the HDs mount, here´s a picture:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article272-page4.html

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:58 pm

I too doubt the suspension would work, but you could always make your own, like most people here do.

btw, you say you cant find a case thats horizontal with good airflow, have you looked at the NSK-2400? I'm using it for my desktop (although many use it for a HTPC), and I'm happy with it, and it's big enough to fit a 8800GTS and Thermalright SI-128 heatsink and 2 120mm exhaust fans.

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:06 pm

klankymen wrote:I too doubt the suspension would work, but you could always make your own, like most people here do.

btw, you say you cant find a case thats horizontal with good airflow, have you looked at the NSK-2400? I'm using it for my desktop (although many use it for a HTPC), and I'm happy with it, and it's big enough to fit a 8800GTS and Thermalright SI-128 heatsink and 2 120mm exhaust fans.
ç

I´m probably too new in here to understand why the suspension wouldn´t work. I took at look the pictures again, and I don´t "see" the problem.

About the case you said, yes, it´s one of the best options, as long as you don´t mind: a micro-ATX (doesn´t allow me the HR-03+fan), 380W output (doesn´t allow me to feed the 8800 card) and, in my particular case, side fans, that would make for a very bad airflow since I´m putting the computer inside a big pre-made furniture.

Without those 3, would be DA THING for me... Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:19 pm

well, as you can see in my sig, I'm using a 500W power supply, so that's not too big a problem, also with side fans, I find it works well for me (even with a passive video card, you'll have one extra fan helping you).

however I will grant you the argument that all the classic heatsinks won't work. I had to sell my Ninja and buy a SI-120, which performs slightly worse in low airflow cause of the tight fins.

Not sure how hot the e6600 is, but I doubt it's hotter than my Opteron under load, but I can follow you if you say you'd rather use a big tower heatsink.

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Good to know that you can use a regular PSU (although the case is much more expensive then, since you´re basically paying for something that you cannot use + the price of a new, good PSU).

About the "classic heatsinks", the problem is that with the 8800, you have no alternatives, since the HR-03 is the only thing out there that fits the card, and it takes 5 BAYS (including the more than convenient fan), so it kills the micro ATX possibility.

Even if it wasn´t the case, please realize that even the coolest of the 8800s generates much more heat than your 8600, and in such a small case, it matters.

Anyway, nobody said "don´t go for it" so far, so perhaps my easiest/best option is still the Solo...

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:02 pm

Andario wrote:
dhanson865 wrote:Only your CPU fan would be an issue and only if you had a "top down" heatsink. A tower heatsink would likely leave the fan vertically mounted even when the case is on its side.

That´s interesting. If I understand correctly, for the best possible flow I should be placing the CPU fan in vertical position, right? If that´s the case, both the Thermalright Ultra-120 and the Thermalright HR-03 with attached fan (for the GPU) would fit the bill.

Thanks for letting me know about the feet. I´m not that sure about the towel thing, since I imagined that the noise dampening coming from good rubber feet would be superior than what I could get even using a thick towel. Am I wrong about that? Moreover, if you think of it the originally "side vents" on the Solo now become "lower side" vents, so they would be obstructed by that towel.

A possible solution considering what you said could be trying to find a thick enough dampening panel to lay the case (instead of the feet), provided that the panel is thick enough to leave room for the lower vents to breathe, but I don´t know if such thick dampening panels exist. Wouldn´t be the rubber feet a better solution overall??

That´s right, since the originally "right panel" is the one that holds the motherboard, that should be now the bottom one if I don´t want to have my 800g cooler hanging from the roof... :P
OK, my solo is at my Dads house right now so I'm going on memory but aren't the vents on the front only on one side? If so they are on the side that will be 'up' compared to motherboard components. If not you are still ok so long as you use one or more intake fans to ofset some of the intake being blocked.

In addition you can use a towel or blanket tightly folded enough times to give you a stable base and let the front bezel hang free over the edge of your dampening material. You don't want the padding to be longer than the case.

As to foam you can buy it in any thickness you want.

Andario

Post by Andario » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:16 pm

No, the Solo has vents on the front on both sides, therefore one of them would be blocked. But, as you say that´s not a problem, since it´s easy to avoid just by using something thick enough for the base.

What you explained about the towel is completely clear.: I guess you insist in the towel thing, though, out of convenience, but it the case it´s going to stay there, I rather buy proper rubber feet any day...

I still haven´t got why people say that the suspended HDs wouldn´t work this way. Could anyone explain to me please?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:37 pm

There might be a language problem here. The drive will work in that position......but the rubber suspension, which uses grommets and special screws (correct me if I'm wrong about this since I don't own this case), may not work as it was designed.

The weight of the hard drive(s), will be shifted toward the edge of lower two grommets, rather than spread evenly over the lower rubber section of all four rubber grommets (per each drive). Hard to explain easily.....

This may result in the metal edge of each hard drive, making direct contact with the metal drive holder, rather than being suspended by the rubber grommets. That's the best I can do..... :?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:08 am

I'd probably get one of those cheap Big Fan cases like Felger Carbon favors and a sabre saw or Dremel. Then I'd figure a good way to rotate the DVD mount 90 degrees and cut out the HD cage and set up a good suspension system. The Big Fan on top with a Aerocool Dominator HS is a natural.

It's Always easy to quiet up the panels with wood outside or foam inside