Convection cooled cabinet..

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

WipeOut

Convection cooled cabinet..

Post by WipeOut » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi,

Looking for opinions..

In have a few PC's that run as servers in my office and a UPS.. I have silenced them as much as is prctically possible but with all the drives and fans needed they are about as quiet as they will ever be.. Also the UPS has a hum which I never noticed before but is now quite apparent..

So this is what I am thinking..

Put them all onto a sound damping cabinet.. Obviously the issue is circulation and cooling the cabinet.. I would like to use baffled vents in the top and bottom so convection was all that was being used to circulate the air in the cabinet..

Is there any way that convection would provide enough airflow through the cabinet to Keep the PC's cool enough while at the same time containing the sound from the PC's?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I would like to use baffled vents in the top and bottom so convection was all that was being used to circulate the air in the cabinet..
what makes a good baffle? a long duct with lots of twists and turns to block sound

what is a really bad duct for convection? a long duct with lots of twists and turns to ...

you get my point. but all is not lost, you can add quiet fans to move the air along the baffle without much cost in terms of extra noise. check out http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_sound_silence/

WipeOut

Post by WipeOut » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:47 am

Yea, I get the point.. :)

I was wanting to avoid any fans in the cabinet but I guess if the fans are large enough (so slowr spinning) and behind the baffles so the noise from them is dampened as well it would probably work.. Will just have to see what fans I can find that would work for this..

Anyway, it should be a fun project if I can get the time to experiment sort it out.. :)