Passive cooling?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnniecache7

Passive cooling?

Post by johnniecache7 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 am

Hello,

I would like some opinions on a cooling my computer semi-passively. I have Chenming 601AE ATX ( Prescott Ready Version ) case with the rear 120MM fan and prescott vented side panel. I plan on using Scythe 120x25mm SlipStream SY1225SL12L - 40 CFM - 800 RPM fan for the exhaust and two Nexus 80mm Real Silent - 20.2 CFM - 1500 RPM case fans for the intake. I want to cool the video card Geforce 9600 GT with Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 and the Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 with Scythe NINJA
PLUS Rev.B with Thermalright Bolt-Thru-Kit all passively. I will also be using Seasonic S12 Energy+ 650Watt ,AcoustiPack v2 Noise Dampening Material and Arctic Cooling MX-2 as my Thermal Compound. Can I pull this off without frying any my components during long gaming sessions or the system running to hot?

Pictures of the case I am using: http://www.chenmingusa.com/601AE.html

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello,

It sounds doable, especially if you undervolt the CPU. And you can always move one of the Nexus fans to the Ninja, or duct it to the exhaust.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:55 am

Hi, the front intake of that case doesn't look great but there is lots of side intake so shouldn't have problem getting enough air through it. To which end I wouldn't bother with the intake fans at all unless you find your HDD(s) running too hot.
The CPU and Video card are quite low power models so cooling should be fine, the PSU is about 3x too big so unless you've already got it I would select a lower powered model and save a bit money. Your proposed system probably use only ~150w DC at full load! 300 - 400w PSU be ample and give you headroom for future CPU / GPU upgrades
Regards, Seb