Gotten a new CPU and possibly a new GFX

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lethul

Gotten a new CPU and possibly a new GFX

Post by lethul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:12 am

And now i wanna test this.

OLD CPU + OLD GFX
OLD CPU + NEW GFX
NEW CPU + OLD GFX
NEW CPU + NEW GFX

But i don't really know a whole lot about benchmarking.
What programs should i try and grab before i start testing?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:17 am

Aquamark 3 is good, although its CPU based. 3D mark 03 and 3D Mark 06 are more grahic based.

I suggest you use at least Aquamark 3 and 3D Mark 06. And run each test 3 times and take average result with them for each session. That gives you good estimation and negates errors in measurement.

edit: http://www.guru3d.com/ Guru 3D has wide range of benchmarks. Including Aquarmk 3D and all 3D Marks.
Last edited by thejamppa on Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:10 am

futuremark website for the benchmark programs.

Go to the ORB section to compare vs other systems with like setup as well as your potential future CPU/GPU.

lethul

Post by lethul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:50 am

Oh, one more thing. One CPU is Intel and one AMD. So i need to change motherboard aswell. Is it just an easy change and move over all components etc or will i need to install new drivers etc?

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:38 am

You will need to install new drivers drivers (particularly chipset drivers) as due to the differences in chipset architecture between them.

All in all its not a bad thing as you just boot to safe mode, uninstall the chipset drivers and transfer the hdd across to the new board. then install the new chipset drivers, they you are off running.

Once you have done you r bench marking and decided what set up you are going to use. My advise is to reinstall the OS, so any remnants of previously installed drivers cannot cause a problem in the future.

lethul

Post by lethul » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Gojira-X wrote:You will need to install new drivers drivers (particularly chipset drivers) as due to the differences in chipset architecture between them.

All in all its not a bad thing as you just boot to safe mode, uninstall the chipset drivers and transfer the hdd across to the new board. then install the new chipset drivers, they you are off running.

Once you have done you r bench marking and decided what set up you are going to use. My advise is to reinstall the OS, so any remnants of previously installed drivers cannot cause a problem in the future.
I tried it like this.

I decided to skip testing and just took what i thought was best.

Comp parts 1: MSI 6728 (Motherboard), p4 2.8GHz, PowerColor x1650 XT with Accelero S2.

Comp parts 2: ECS NFORCE3-A939, AMD Athlon X2 4200+, Geforce 6600GT.

So all i did was remove MB and CPU from the Chassi and inserted the new stuff. Rewired everything and hit boot. It started up but got bluescreen at windows loading sign, even with safe mode. Do i have to uninstall old motherboard chipset driver before i insert the new stuff?