CHERRY STREAM

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

CHERRY STREAM

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:29 pm

In case anyone looking for a keyboard, cherry just announced their CHERRY STREAM, marketed as Extra Silent.

Our new CHERRY STREAM - the best STREAM of all time!

NeilBlanchard

Re: CHERRY STREAM

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:42 am

Is this the Cherry Stream 3?

This keyboard has a strange layout for a couple of keys, around the return key. I like the larger return key, but the /? key is on the top row, and there is other very strange swaps.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:01 am

Well, they don't really give any information about what they did to make them "extra silent". So at this point I put it in as just a marketing statement like some of their other crap on their product page. I'd want to see these claims verified. And although a good scissor switch keyboard isn't bad, you can make some very quiet mechanical keyboards. My lubed Healios switches are very quiet with their dampened stems.

As for the layout, which version are you looking at? It looks like they have a lot of versions for different languages and "standard" layouts like ANSI and ISO. The ANSI layout looks "normal". Even has a standard bottom work with 1.25u keys. Not that you can swap keycaps or anything.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:21 am

I was looking at the various models for sale at NewEgg.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:49 pm

Which one are you looking at specifically? I see a lot that look similar including some with "Stream" in the title. But none of them match the model number from the product page they link to in the YouTube video. That being JK-8500EU. And of course, the product pages on NewEgg aren't clear a lot of times what product exactly is being sold. Some of them have pictures of both ANSI and ISO models for the same item. But ISO has 105 keys while ANSI has 104. So in theory, if it says it's 104 keys it should be the normal ANSI and not ISO. I bought a Cherry MX Board 3.0 from a site and they did something similar where at least some of the pictures showed ISO. But I bought it anyways and got the ANSI version I wanted.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:28 am

I was looking at about 4 different units. It was a bit confusing as to what was what. All of them seemed to have keys in nonstandard locations.

I want a very durable keyboard, and I would like to find a quieter one. I have a Logitech G810 at the moment; which quiet for a mechanical unit. It is wearing through the edges of some of the keys, and since they are illuminated, this is very noticeable.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Yeah, I've heard that the Logitech keyboards don't have the best keycaps. And the Romer-G switches use their own special mounting that not many others use so there's not really any options for new/better keycaps to replace them. There are better quiet mechanical keyboards than Logitech/Romer-G. Of course, things can get expensive. Here's an example...

BOK.CP with lubed Healios Typing Sounds

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Wow, that sounds sweet! But do you have to build a keyboard in order to get them?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:04 pm

You can buy keyboards with Cherry Silent and also some with Gateron Silent switches. Or something like the GMMK which comes with switches but is hot swapable so you can put any MX style switch in it. But the one in that video was also lubed. Lubing requires access to the switches so either hot swapable or making your own that you can lube before soldering. And lubing takes some manual work to do unless you can find someone to pay to do it for you. Lubing can definitely help really smooth out the sound. Especially on the stabilized keys which can otherwise be pretty rattley in a lot of keyboards. I picked up some Gateron silent linear switches to try out linear switches which was a new thing to me and they are relatively cheap. Lubing those definitely helped but they still weren't as smooth as ZealPC Healios switches. These are very smooth switches and lubing makes them even more so. But you pay for that.