noise from computer or ears?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

noise from computer or ears?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:15 am

i'm sure some of you ever wondered this: "is that high-pitched noise coming from my computer or my ears?"

you know some peoples coming on this forum surely have that ears problem where you always hear some kind of high-pitched noise, i forgot how that problem is called, but i'm sure some of us, at least once, wondered if that high-pitched noise came from their computer, and found out it's their ears.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:06 am

Tinnitus.

joelmusicman

Post by joelmusicman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 am

I have intermittent Tinnitus, and it's a very distinct sound.

Louder computers tend to set it off (partly what brought me here), but I can easily tell the difference. It is a relatively high pitched, and very tonal sound.

The desktop I used to have at worst had a quiet broadband "rushing air sound" from the Yate Loon 120mms and PSU.

More recently, I sold it for a Thinkpad T400 (very quiet machine, except for the "crunchy" 5400 hdd).

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:27 am

Have tinnitus myself, and it is somewhat similar to but distinctly different from electrical whines. Started favouring silence after I noticed how much better my ears (or head, hard to tell) felt with less ambient noise. Silence is also less tiring than constant noise input -- it's as resting as closing your eyes.

But yeah, sometimes confusing. Since my Benq got a lot quieter a few weeks after setting it up I thought my hearing had actually gone worse! :D

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:44 am

It's pretty easy to tell if it's coming from the computer or your ears: Shut down the computer, do you still hear it?

sapereaude

Post by sapereaude » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:58 am

I tend to get a tinnitus if I concentrate on a faint noise (that may be not even there) for too long. It's like my ears wanted to tell me "Just stop it already!"

colm

Re: noise from computer or ears?

Post by colm » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:i'm sure some of you ever wondered this: "is that high-pitched noise coming from my computer or my ears?"

you know some peoples coming on this forum surely have that ears problem where you always hear some kind of high-pitched noise, i forgot how that problem is called, but i'm sure some of us, at least once, wondered if that high-pitched noise came from their computer, and found out it's their ears.
all my new computers have done it. heatsinks are very nice. From the 16 ounce (yes thats one pound) that could be found singing on a p2 350 slot 1 or the xp 90 silently with its thin spreaders. I have shut off my computers to notyice no pitch at all...so putting two and two together would conclude...

anyhoo, the lower micron years (started at 90nm for me) oh it is so pleasant, seriously.