Chipset temperature

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JoseAntonio

Post by JoseAntonio » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

hello,
<BR>
<BR>First of all, I want to congratulate kurtl and MikeC for this new great project.
<BR>
<BR>In the subject topic,
<BR>
<BR>I have taken away the chipset fan of my Epox 8kha+. Now, the chipset temp. measured by MBM is 28-30 C aprox. I have not any other fans in the case, except for the cpu. The case is opened, too.
<BR>
<BR>Is this an apropiatte temp. for the chipset? Which is the max. temp. the chipset could run?
<BR>
<BR>Thanks from Spain.
<BR>
<BR>Jose Antonio.
[addsig]

slau

Post by slau » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Hi, sounds like your chipset is running fine. I'm not sure what the max is, but I'm sure it's way over 60C. The chipset fan is mainly for overclockers.
<br>
<br>What is your ambient temperature? Pretty warm, I'd guess, if you're in Spain.
[addsig]

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Maybe it is way over 60C before damage occurs, but I suspect you'll see instability before that. As a rough guide, I have rarely seen the chipset temps on my systems go past the 40C. Normally, it's somewhere in the 30s or lower. But haven't that paid much attention, to be honest. My room temp is around 22C normally, usually well under 30C even in summer.
<br>
<br>Your temps seem perfectly safe.
[addsig]

siliconacoustics
-- Vendor --

Post by siliconacoustics » Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:32 pm

Jose,
<br>I don't think that any of the motherboards I have owned have ever had a temperature sensor for the chipset. Most motherboards have two sensors, one for the CPU and one often referred to as "System" or "Motherboard". My experience is that this second sensor does not reflect the temperature of the chipset, rather it reflects the temperature of the motherboard where ever this sensor happens to be located on the board. Frequently this sensor is built in to the ASIC that monitors the CPU temp and fan speeds.
<br>
<br>The upshot of this is that there is no easy way to tell what the temperature effects of removing the fan are. If you are not suffering any instability then that is an obvious good sign. The information I have read suggests that excess heat can shorten the life of a chip even if it isn’t causing any immediate problems with the functionality of the chip. However, my feeling is that these things do not have to last forever. I’ll choose quiet operation over the pampering of a microchip every time.
<br>
<br>Jonathan
[addsig]