Serial/USB power meter?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Serial/USB power meter?

Post by matt_garman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 am

Does anyone know if there exists an AC power meter (like the Kill-A-Watt) with some kind of interface that can be read with a computer (e.g. serial port, usb)?

I've noticed that the readings on my Kill-A-Watt fluctuate. Obviously, adding various kinds of load will cause a fluctuation, but I've noticed this when there aren't any readily explainable causes.

I think it would be cool to be able to read and log power usage; the logs could then be compared to the system logs to hopefully track down power-hungry processes.

Also, for Linux users, there's an actual program, PowerTop, that can be used for the same end (reducing overall system power consumption). The means is different---it monitors CPU wakeups---but is still a useful tool (especially for preserving battery life on laptops).

scdr

Post by scdr » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:50 pm

There was such a device, I remember reading a review of it a year or two back. It think it used USB. Unfortunately I don't remember where I read about it. I thought it might have been on this forum, but a quick look back at old posts hasn't turned up anything obvious. Come to think of it, it may have been only to analyze the power used by the computer itself.

Not the one I was thinking of, but the WATTS UP Power Analyzer - PRO version seems to have a serial interface.