HTPC keyboard/mouse recommendations

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ch0z3n

HTPC keyboard/mouse recommendations

Post by Ch0z3n » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:10 pm

So, I am looking around at wireless keyboards and mice for my HTPC. One interesting thought would be a wireless keyboard with a touchpad since the mouseing requirements will be fairly limited. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. I suppose that a trackball would be sufficient thought I really would prefer a touchpad.

I would rather opt for an all-in-one solution because I usually I will be using it from my bed and I tend not to sleep with a mousepad on my bed.

Even if you don't have any all-in-one suggestions, what do you all use on your HTPCs?

--------------------
EDIT: Ohh, I just had a thought, could I use virtual desktop (tightVNC maybe) to control it? More specifically, can I somehow scale the window since the htpc is on a 720P tv which is higher than the 1024x600 on the eee. Then I can just hook up an old crappy keyboard for when I need to mess with the BIOS.

dgccr

Post by dgccr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:47 pm

Hello,

Im currently running a Mac Mini as a HTPC connected to my remote NAS. Dead quite and more than enough power.

For a Keyboard / Mouse combo I went with the Logitech Dinova Mini

Small / Light / Backlit

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keybo ... &cl=us,en#

Its a little pricey at $149.99 but def worth it for the living room!!!

-daryl

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Depending on the os/media software you`re using a microsoft remote could be very handy.

Those guys make some very good keyboards with built in touchpads. Not sure if you can find those in the states though.

Strid

Post by Strid » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am

ntavlas wrote:Depending on the os/media software you`re using a microsoft remote could be very handy.
Microsoft MCE remotes are very well supported under Linux (with LIRC). So good suggestion here.

I've tried to use a VNC client like that once, to control my stereo/music system. Ultimately I got fed up with using a VNC client all the time. Using a remote keyboard/mice like the one dgccr suggested here - which is by the way pretty cool when you look at it IMO!

plympton

if you've got an iPhone/iPod touch

Post by plympton » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 pm

There are a few wireless mouse/keyboard replacements in the iTunes store. I bought AirMouse (http://www.mobileairmouse.com/press.html) and it works really well.

Though in reality I usually either VNC in or use my Ultranav travel keyboard (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... 45849.html) most of the time. VNC works great even under Vista now, though you'll have to window-ify the Media Center app for some reason (some DVXA mode or something?)

Now, a wireless Ultranav keyboard... !

-Dan

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, that is a really awesome keyboard, but it is about $100 out of my range. I'm gonna try UltraVNC in a few minutes here.