Running CrystalCPUID as a service under WHS?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Schroinx

Running CrystalCPUID as a service under WHS?

Post by Schroinx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 am

For most of the time, my WHS is ideling its time and my money away, so I run the CCI to reduce power consumption. However that requires me to be logged in as admin. I want to set it up as a service, but just want to hear if anyone has any experience with it before I try.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 pm

never used WHS but I had it as a start-up service for Vista and it worked fine.

Schroinx

Post by Schroinx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by start up service?

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:37 pm

I'll try to help, but I don't know whether I can. If you just need the task to be created with administrative privileges, then it can be done easily with Task Scheduler, found in Control Panel---> Administrative Tools. However, I don't know about running as an actual service, or anything for that matter. I know Windows Vista and Windows 7 have limitations on running programs at startup which require administrative privileges, at least if you have UAC enabled, and Task Scheduler is the way to get around that. But as far as I know, Crystal will only run in userspace. I don't know how logon/logoff happens with servers, as I still haven't made use of my 120-day trial of WHS, so if running with administrative privileges is what you need, I can help with that. Otherwise, I've just seen a few pay programs that are supposed to allow programs to be run as services.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

Well, for starters, WHS is basically Windows Server 2003, which is WinXP-based, not Vista. So there is no UAC to worry about.

I've never seen anything that shows how to install CCI as a service.

However, if you use the Task Scheduler in WHS and set it up to run CCI on login/logon and enter the admin username and password, it should work, even after resuming from standby, if you have that enabled.