It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: duron 1800 for a htpc?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:24 am 
Friend of SPCR

i have had a plan for a while to make myself a htpc, evere since i removed my second hdd because it was quieter.
i was sent this link from ebuyer this morning

would the duron be able to play all of the divx's and the like i throw at it, will it do it with grace? bearing in mind some are very high bit rate with ac3 sound etc. i know the durons are dogs but i wondered if it would cope.
i have no plans to multitask although the machine will be folding and a sort of network harddisk, i may let it run emule so as to free up my main pc.
i really have no idea of the power of these things, would it be comparable to say, a p3 1gig?
it seems an elegant solution and cheap but will i be able to swap that hs for somethng acceptable and what sort of heat does a duron spit out?

thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:00 am 

The Duron was a stripped down .18micron Athlon core(not sure which one). With the top processor the 1.3ghz using around 60 watts. I don't know where they came up with the PR number for that Duron AMD never used them so you have no idea what the actual ghz that processor is. I think a 1700+ Tbred'B with the M-ATX motherboard of you picking would be a better choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:13 am 
Friend of SPCR

cheers, i think i will hold out for a low end p4 to get really cheap.
i can get mobo's with all the features and small form factor for a decent price and the extra will be worth it as it may let em time shift and record programmes, perhaps.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:27 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

There is no P-Rating for Duron processors, the Duron 1.3 runs at 1.3Ghz, and there's no higher clocked Duron.

I have no idea what they are selling, maybe it's just a typo and it's a Duron 800. There's also no such thing as a Duron "pro", AFAYK.

I have had a Duron 750 in my main box for a while, and I now use it in my girlfriends computer (Abit KT7, GeForce 2mx, 384mb SDRAM). I have never found a Divx that wouldn't playback smoothly on this computer.

A Duron at 1Ghz is roughly equivalent to a Celeron at 1Ghz in terms of performance. But a PIII or Celeron at 1Ghz will dissipate about 30% less power than a Duron 1Ghz.