Quiet Antec Sonata -- thank you SPCR!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mot524

Quiet Antec Sonata -- thank you SPCR!

Post by mot524 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Okay, I just got my desktop computer to a level of quietness that I'm very satisfied with, thanks in large part to SPCR. (Just donated!)

- 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad (Q6600), 6 GB RAM, random passive $30 nVidia 9400 video card
- Antec Sonata III case
- Scythe Mugen 2, mobo controlling PWM fan, RPMs are ~750 to ~1100 (idle/load), temps are 35/50
- Nexus exhaust fan @ 700 RPM, using included silicone mounts
- SeaSonic X650 power supply (fan has never needed to turn on)
- Old Kingston 64GB SSD
- WD Caviar Green, minimal seek noise but annoying vibration, placed a ~5mm thick piece of very lightweight foam (motherboard packing material) in the drive tray and set the drive on top of it, fits perfectly, now minimal vibration/resonance and running at a cool 33C

According to a sound meter app I have on my iPhone, the ambient noise in my apartment in the middle of the night is ~32 dB, and with the computer on (idle), it's ~32.5 dB with the phone placed on the desk right next to the computer. I think anyone would be hard pressed to be sitting at the desk and be able to tell whether or not the computer was on from the noise. Anyway I'm very pleased with the setup and wanted to share. Good luck to everybody with your projects!