Quieting a keyboard? And... sorbothane or vinyl barrier?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Capitalocracy

Quieting a keyboard? And... sorbothane or vinyl barrier?

Post by Capitalocracy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:36 am

I'm thinking about putting together a quiet keyboard. I'm a transcriptionist, and I type over 100 wpm, and the noise I make with even a relatively quiet keyboard is intolerable to those around me. Also, I'm going to go deaf putting the audio in the headphones too high to hear what I'm transcribing over the noise.

I was thinking about inserting some kind of sound muffling material into a keyboard. So far I've seen sorbothane sheets and vinyl sound barriers... does anyone know anything about this, and would you recommend one of these or something else? Any other tips on shutting up a keyboard is welcome as well. Thanks

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Quieting a keyboard? And... sorbothane or vinyl barrier?

Post by MikeC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 am

Tough challenge. I don't recommend going inside the keyboard -- no space and no real options once the thing is made. I mean that any reduced acoustics/vibrations features need to be built right in, starting at the design stage. If you type that fast, perhaps there's a fair bit of impact transmitted to the desktop, in which case, a sheet of sorbothane (or other soft rubber) beneath the keyboard could help.

Obviously, if you haven't, you should take the time to scroll through the massive 439-post, 9-year thread Recommend a Silent Mouse and Keyboard? -- viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2500

SHODAN

Post by SHODAN » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:01 am

I like these:

:twisted: :lol: 8) :mrgreen: :oops:

No, really, I do.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 am

Topre Realforce 103-key Keyboards imo are one of the best keyboards around, specially for someone that enjoys typing and not looking for a high clicking sound of mechanical keyboards, like cherry blue. It uses hybrid switches, not dead silent, but much more than a cherry blue keyboard, check videos on youtube. Another option is something like Logitech Illuminated, which are very quiet keys (not silent), but this are low profile, not sure if ideal for 100+ wpm typist.

Or go with Cherry Brown (avoid cherry blue) switched keyboard like, Leopold "Tenkeyless" Tactile Touch Keyboard , and add the Soft-Landing Pads (Soft/Black) for,
Finally, a way to quiet down the harsh *CLACK* of your mechanical Cherry MX switches when you bottom out the key. Compatible with most mechanical keyboard manufacturer's Cherry MX keycaps.