The path to silence...

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

baii

The path to silence...

Post by baii » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:07 pm

I had start building since OCT, coming from a notebook platform, my main concerns were budget/performance/noise in balance.

Most importantly, build needed to have a rather powerful gpu mainly for madvr playback, so that would be the my major target for noise elimination.

Initially I plan to do a aio driven SSF, thinking I can put it "in the other room", "cabinet", or fit into the wall behind TV, turn out environmentally it is not possible, but I learned alot in the process and realize one thing, The biggest obstacle when you go "silence" is the number of noise emitting components. Any sound with distinct characteristics will stick out and ruin the build. (psu whine, gpu whine, monitor whine, all tend to have different characteristics, unlike low speed fans...)

Now I moved on to a fractal, with big cpu cooler, big vga cooler, grill removed to reduce turbulence and a psu with modded fan, 5mb controlled fan sections with speedfan but.. I start noticing my trusty u2711 have a whine/buzz noise. It was never apparent to me when I have it with my laptop for the last 4 year.

So where does this silence path lead...?

~btw am I in the right section?

dr_traktor

Re: The path to silence...

Post by dr_traktor » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:21 am

It leads to silence. I was finally satisfied once I couldn't tell if my computer was on or off. So in the end I did get a happy resolution.

Regarding the monitor: for me raising the brightness to 100% on the monitor and turning the brightness down from the video card's software did the trick.

baii

Re: The path to silence...

Post by baii » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:51 pm

dr_traktor wrote:It leads to silence. I was finally satisfied once I couldn't tell if my computer was on or off. So in the end I did get a happy resolution.

Regarding the monitor: for me raising the brightness to 100% on the monitor and turning the brightness down from the video card's software did the trick.
That does help, but where the green computing go~
u2711 pull like 100+W at 100%. That's like all the bulb in my house....

edit: did some experimenting, seems like the pwm control sound a little different @ different brightness level, will go from there I guess ~.
did more reading and seems like it pull ~50w at min anyways~, also find at brightness 78+ the noise almost went away.

I am feeling I am insane listening to the pwm circuit on my monitor.