Silent micro-switches for Logitech and other mice.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

petrus

Silent micro-switches for Logitech and other mice.

Post by petrus » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

So today i bought the CALADO Silent Mouse by SPEEDLINK, because it said on the box:
Advanced button technology which effectively eliminates the noise you make when using the mouse; clicks are almost silent!

And they deliver, clicks are truly silent compared to regular OMRON switches,
they require less force and feel rather dampened, not hollow like most mice.

Of course i immediately disassembled it to see how the magic happens... don't turn it on, take it apart!

The secret sauce are these weird micro switches with red buttons by Kailh:
(it's the Kailh MI62XX Micro Switch Series i believe, i'm not sure tho)

They may look non standard, but they are the same dimensions as OMRON switches
which means that you can put them into most Logitech mice, and it should work/fit
here is my Logitech mouse with Kailh switches (de-soldered from the SPEEDLINK mouse):

Or if you don't want to junk a whole mouse for a few switches, just buy em on ebay, if i only knew...

That's it, a pretty good first post if you ask me, cheers!
Last edited by petrus on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: Silent micro-switches for Logitech and other mice.

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Welcome to SPCR and thanks for the info.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Wow, very nice find!

petrus

Post by petrus » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:15 am

Or rather AliExpress over eBay, where you can get 15 pieces for $9.29 (with Free Shipping)!
That's a great deal, especially compared to the $17 i paid for my "parts mouse" and it's 4 switches.

I also found on their website the Kailh "Quiet Micro Switch":

"No sound, specifically for consumer who often work at night."

I guess these are the same, just in a proper mouse micro switch form factor...

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:44 am

Great thread with useful info.

I'm surprised that there aren't more silent 'high end' mice.

I have a Uping mouse (basically a Eastern Times generic mouse from China) which has silent main buttons, presumably due to using the same/similar microswitches:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... VKN6D6P95U

However, it is a budget/generic mouse and I would like a high end mouse with a better sensor, shape, accuracy, weight etc with silent buttons and nothing like that seems to exist.

Thought about the Logitech MX Master and G602 but jeez, how loud are those clicks??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geY75cNsGTo

I suspect the only way to achieve that is to fit new microswitches like the OP.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Just wanted to post that I finally did this myself. Now my Logitech M510 (the old version, not the new Logi one) is nice and quiet. At least on the left/right click. Too bad the middle button uses a different kind of switch. Need to find a quiet version of the smaller switch next. Thanks.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Logitech M220 or M330, as recommended by QuietMark?

Aside from being in the market for new silent mice (all my old QuietMouse samples have broken), I'd also like to know how well Quiet Mark's recommendation stands up to SPCR's standards.

mattnicholas

Post by mattnicholas » Sat May 23, 2020 9:28 am

I am sorry to revive this 5 years old thread but I could not stop myself from thanking @petrus. I had been searching for a budget replacement for the noisy switches on my favorite Logitech G305 gaming mouse. And, these Kailh switches seemed to be the solution. I ordered them from aliexpress for just 8 bucks. I am not much experienced with the soldering thing but I managed somehow and now my G305 is a lot quieter!
Devonavar wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:45 pm
Does anyone have experience with the Logitech M220 or M330, as recommended by QuietMark?

Aside from being in the market for new silent mice (all my old QuietMouse samples have broken), I'd also like to know how well Quiet Mark's recommendation stands up to SPCR's standards.
Yes, @Devonavar, I have used my friend's M330 and it is REALLY REALLY silent. He has even recommended some options as well on his blog (https://www.glinkster.com/best-silent-mouse/). Nowadays, Quietmark is pretty much the standard when it comes to silent mice! And most newer Logitech silent mouse options are all Quiet Mark certified.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks for reviving this and providing some info for some more options. I haven't looked at new mice in a while and it's nice to see there are some more options now. Unfortunately, nothing yet seems to be what I want. I tried a bunch of silent mice a while back. In the end, I modded my Logitech M510 with some of these Kailh switches and have been working with that for years. The only drawback is the button for the middle/wheel is different so I can't directly replace it meaning it still thocks really loud. It seems a lot of these are on the smaller side. Not that I have big hands but the M510 fits my mouse style very well where I can rest my hand on the mouse comfortably. I tried the M330 and while it was nice, the smaller size wasn't as comfortable. The lack of side buttons is a drawback as well but not a huge thing. The M590 has the side buttons but appears to be on the small side as well. The Nexus silent mouse is similar in style to the M510 and is very quiet but the build quality doesn't seem good and doesn't fit as well. Plus the clicks are quiet but also feel mushy. The Kailh switches are quiet but still have a sharp bump to them. The only other one that sounded promising from your link was the VicTsing Gaming mouse. I could do without the flashyness but the biggest issue is that people report that the middle button isn't silent. So it would be basically the same thing as what I have now at best.

I was kind of hoping that someone would have fixed things by this point in time. But it looks like I'll be stuck where I'm at for a while still. Unless I make my own mouse...

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:23 pm

So I was feeling the need for a new mouse again and after doing some searching, noticed that the Logitech G (for Gaming!) mice seem to use the same sized switches for the middle wheel button as these Kailh silent switches. So, I picked up a G305 to try it out. First of all, the default buttons really aren't too bad. They're clicky but not crazy loud. But, after fighting with the middle button switch that seemed to be stuck in the PCB somehow, I finally got all three buttons on my mouse to be nice and quiet. I could also swap out the side buttons but those aren't used nearly as much and I only have one spare switch left right now. There's also the DPI switch which is the loudest one. But again, not used often enough to care.

I still like the shape of the M510 better but we'll see how this one goes after some more time. I was bummed to see that Logitech's overly unnecessary driver software doesn't have an option to switch the scroll direction. I had to use a registry hack to get it to work reversed which I've gotten used to now.

marck120

Post by marck120 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:06 am

Hi, I have read this very interesting and useful discussion, I currently have a G602, unfortunately the scroll wheel no longer works, I would like to buy a silent wireless mouse with good build quality, I am looking for a sturdy mouse that will last me for years, I don't want spend too much if it is possible, from what I understand the Kailh switches are the best in terms of silence and durability, which wireless mouse equipped with Kailh switches do you recommend ?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 am

From what I found, there aren't many mice that do have these Kailh switches. And the ones I did try I didn't find to be very good mice unfortunately. Hence why I resorted to replacing switches in my existing mice. My modified G305 is still doing well. The buttons are just a little too easy to press so I have a tendency to click when I'm just resting on it. Likely at least partially user error but I didn't have nearly this much issue with my M510s. But other than that, I like it.

marck120

Post by marck120 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm

BillyBuerger wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 am
From what I found, there aren't many mice that do have these Kailh switches. And the ones I did try I didn't find to be very good mice unfortunately. Hence why I resorted to replacing switches in my existing mice. My modified G305 is still doing well. The buttons are just a little too easy to press so I have a tendency to click when I'm just resting on it. Likely at least partially user error but I didn't have nearly this much issue with my M510s. But other than that, I like it.
Hi, thank you for answering me.
I apologize for my English I translate with google, I only speak Italian
From what they explained to me Kailh also produces low quality switches, only the Kailh gm series switches are of high quality.
Does your M510 have Kailh gm series switches ?
Do you happen to know if the Logitech M590 or M330 are equipped with Kailh gm series switches ?
How did you replace the switches on your G305, did you solder the new switches ?
The asus rog strix carry has interchangeable switches but I don't know if it is compatible with the Kailh gm series
Ultimately what are the wireless mice on the market that mount the Kailh gm ?